Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serious Ta-Ta Question

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    My mom had it, and she is the only one who has. It was nearly 30 years ago and it never recurred. There are five girls in the family and none have gotten it :knocking on wood: I remember taking her to the doctor for the followup after her surgery and we could hear a man in one of the examining rooms....he had just been diagnosed with breast cancer. That was the first I had heard of a man getting it.

In my husbands family, things have not gone so good. His mother came from a family with eleven kids, nine girls and two boys. All of the women who have died, to included his mother and grandma, have died of ovarian cancer, a couple of breast cancer. Clearly it runs in the family. We have two daughters and it terrifies me that they will get it too. They are both done having children and have asked to have hysterectomies and their doctors refuse, saying they are too young. At least they are both well aware and keep on top of things.
    I argue with the doc all the time about my husband being tested more frequently. His dad and brother had prostate cancer. Both had their prostates removed and so far his brother is okay (dad passed from a different reason). The doc wants to test hubby every 5 years since his last test was fine. I am not fine with that. Anything could happen during those 5 years. He is so high risk.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wwena View Post
    I'm not sure you will get valid statistics from a forum. Ask your doctor!

I forgot my mammogram the other week, calling tomorrow to re-schedule (and apologise). I will ask then too!

You can find out if you're likely to get it, right? I read that's why Angelina Jolie took pre-emptive action.
    This is just very informal. I know it is a small amount of people compared to what doctors say but I want to hear from real people who have been there. I was told by my doc that where before, when you tested for BC, it was once every 5 years if everything was okay. Now they say that is too often. Medical science changes. Real people know. I WILL have my test done since reading all of this. Sometimes it takes more than a pamphlet and a doc to jolt you into reality. I am calling this week.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My oldest daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer on her 27th birthday. While no one in our direct line has had BC, I have two first cousins on my dad's side who had and survived BC. Because we have four daughters, we had my oldest tested for the BRCA gene. The test was negative, so we did not have the other girls tested; it's a $3000 test.

Because of passport and visa requirements, my oldest had two chest X-rays before she was 18 years old; my other girls were too young to need X-rays according to the rules. I am convinced that one of the X-ray machines was putting out too much radiation. A whole group of us had to have chest X-rays to extend our visas on an overseas assignment. Of those 20 people, four came down with chest or breast cancer within a few years. I know there were two X-ray rooms because they called my daughter and me in at the same time and we went into separate rooms. So that means that probably 10 people in our group were in the same X-ray room, and almost half of them got chest/breast cancer (and there may have been more, those are just the ones I heard of through the grapevine). I just find that too big of a coincidence to discount the possibility of a rogue machine.

I'm happy to say that all four of these people, including my daughter, beat the cancer. My doctors now watch me uber closely because "it runs in your family." I'm just happy that my beautiful daughter survived.

My personal story is that I've had a number of lumps and bumps biopsied, including breast lumps. I'm very thankful that all have turned out to be benign.

Regarding the Pill and breast cancer, a number of studies--though not all--have shown a link. It's scary to know that an entire generation has been used as guinea pigs.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Over 40, get yourself a mammogram IMO. Early detection is key with any type of cancer.

My mother was 49 when she was diagnosed at stage 4 with a rare form of uterine cancer - she would have been in the 5% range based on risk factor. I was 29 with a 40% hereditary risk at that time, started with a pap test every 6 month, within 2 years the risk factor became known to rise to 70% - growing rapidly between 30 and 35. At age 36.5 my pap was negative, at 37 it was stage 2! I had a Radical Hysterectomy and all the required treatments involved. I've been a survivor for 17 years.

My mother's mother is one of nine girls, she died of a brain tumor, she had 3 mischarges and a hysterectomy, we're not sure if she had any signs of ovarian/cervical or uterine cancer. Six of her sisters died of breast cancer. Many breast cancer doctors feel that I wasn't at high risk because my mother didn't have breast cancer and my grandmother was once removed. However, I did have annual mammos since my 40th B-day and manual breast exams at my 6 months pap test by my gyno.

Last June I had my pap and mammo after missing 2 years due to lack of insurance, I found a County program for women over 50 which is for free by chance. I wasn't worried about my mammo at all, didn't feel anything. I was worried about my pap as I had been feeling crappy and not myself.

I got the call that my pap was negative. "Great" I said Then the pause on the other side. "But your mammogram shows some concern, the radiologist would like you to come back tomorrow morning." And so the TaTa story on The Forum began. It proved to have 3 nodes and malignancy. I had a stereoscopic biopsy done with radiation treatment and just last week had the follow-up mammo/ultrasound done. The mass was complete removed by the biopsy with clean tissue showing, the other two nodes have shrunk 70+% - I'm considered clean. I've beaten this second type of cancer! I feel blessed beyond words. Early detection is very important, especially in my case, all 3 nodes were deep against my chest wall. They CAN NOT be felt by a manual breast exam! Only can be detected by a mammogram and the two smaller ones were found during the ultrasound. Therefore, YOU need to make that call to your doctor and schedule a mammogram.

If you don't have insurance as many of us have lost our jobs or our spouses have lost their jobs and coverage. Call your county health agencies and tell them your age! Apparently there are various programs that are funded by state and federal programs for women both for breast and paps.

Also if you are a DES baby there are programs for health care for you as well. (Normally after a hysterectomy, you wouldn't get a pap but as a DES baby, I need to keep having paps for the rest of my life.)

"Diethylstilbestrol (DES) is a synthetic form of the female hormone estrogen. It was prescribed to pregnant women between 1940 and 1971 to prevent miscarriage, premature labor, and related complications of pregnancy (1). The use of DES declined after studies in the 1950s showed that it was not effective in preventing these problems."

Long story short...Get your Pap Yearly once you are sexually active, do your self breast exam monthly, have your doctor do a manual breast exam at your annual check up. After 40, schedule a Mammogram. When in doubt about something strange going on with your body, go to the doctor! Early detection can save your life!

Huggers, Ruby
    2xC Survivor and feeling very, very blessed (watched over by my angel "Mams")
    Last edited by HandsOffItsMine; February 12th, 2014 at 08:07 PM.
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joanne,
    My husband had a large (the largest the surgeons had ever seen) in his spinal column and behind his lung eight years ago. The only symptom he had was numbness starting in his feet and working it's way up his body, and falling because of those symptoms. It started one year in Hawaii, and he was afraid to tell me while we were there. Apparently he was also afraid to tell me for a week after we got home! Anyway, they type tumor he has is 98% of the time not cancerous, and we were lucky he was in that percentile. He has to go yearly for MRI's (this year is on Friday). After last years, they told us it was regrowing but they are not concerned as it is very very slow growing and he has no symptoms. They said he had the first one probably at least ten years! So even though I worry all the time about it, this time of the year is always worse waiting to see what they find.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My two of my cousins...sibs....had cancer....only one survived.... I had DCIS in 2008. ... I am seriously late for my last diagnostic mammogram....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

7. Thanks Bethy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Serious Ta-Ta Question

Approximately 80% of women with breast cancer had no family history at the time of their diagnosis. While having a family history is significant and does increase one's risk, not having a family history is obviously not a "get out of jail free" card. There are many "myths" surrounding breast cancer risk and treatments.

16 common myths about breast cancer

The recent mammogram study results this week have reopened the controversy about the value and effectiveness of mammograms saving lives. Mammograms are not perfect, but there is no question they have detected many cancers. I had my first mammogram at 36 just because it was offered free by my employer. I decided to get a "baseline" film to have for future comparisons and in the process discovered I had very dense breasts. A repeat mammogram at age 39 showed microcalcifications which can be precursors to the development of a tumor. I had a biopsy to remove and inspect the microcalcs and results were benign.

I continued to get annual mammograms after age 40. At age 47 a mammogram detected a mass in that same biopsy location and I had my first breast cancer diagnosis...stage 2 IDC, 2 positive nodes, lumpectomy, chemo, radiation, tamoxifen...the standard treatment plan. Annual follow up mammograms never revealed any additional issues but 5 years later at age 52 a mass was felt on palpation in the other breast but could not be picked up by mammogram or ultrasound. A breast MRI finally was able to see through dense breasts and revealed a large mass.

This new primary breast cancer was unrelated to the first. It was a stage 3C ILC, 5.1cm tumor with 23 positive nodes. Bilateral mastectomy, chemo again...(yep lost my hair again)...full 3-field radiation, 5 years IV Zometa and now going on 8 years still taking daily Aromasin.

So the good news is I am a 13 year and 8 year survivor! Mammograms found my first cancer but totally missed the second. I still believe that until they have better screening technology, women 40 and over should get mammograms. If you have dense breasts, a personal history or family history, fight for a MRI which has better tumor detection.

Inform yourself about the true stats and risks of breast cancer.

Breast Cancer Risk in American Women - National Cancer Institute

Don't delay reporting to your doctor any unusual lumps or "thickened" areas you detect on your own. You know your body better than anyone else!

And if someday you hear those dreaded words...just know there are many, many survivors out here who prove treatment works and there is definitely LIFE after diagnosis!

We women are so good at taking care of others...let's take care of ourselves too!
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is a genetic trait, no doubt.
    I have a neighbor who has lost her mother to colon cancer, her sister from cervical cancer, and now she is fighting breast cancer...
    JAYZEE! I have NEVER heard cancer come up ONCE in my family! (Am I really saying this out LOUD...)

We just seem to have heart attacks and strokes.
    Is that a 'good thing'?

If you have a STRONG genetic trait, stay on TOP of it, chica!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sewbee View Post
    Approximately 80% of women with breast cancer had no family history at the time of their diagnosis. While having a family history is significant and does increase one's risk, not having a family history is obviously not a "get out of jail free" card. There are many "myths" surrounding breast cancer risk and treatments.

16 common myths about breast cancer

The recent mammogram study results this week have reopened the controversy about the value and effectiveness of mammograms saving lives. Mammograms are not perfect, but there is no question they have detected many cancers. I had my first mammogram at 36 just because it was offered free by my employer. I decided to get a "baseline" film to have for future comparisons and in the process discovered I had very dense breasts. A repeat mammogram at age 39 showed microcalcifications which can be precursors to the development of a tumor. I had a biopsy to remove and inspect the microcalcs and results were benign.

I continued to get annual mammograms after age 40. At age 47 a mammogram detected a mass in that same biopsy location and I had my first breast cancer diagnosis...stage 2 IDC, 2 positive nodes, lumpectomy, chemo, radiation, tamoxifen...the standard treatment plan. Annual follow up mammograms never revealed any additional issues but 5 years later at age 52 a mass was felt on palpation in the other breast but could not be picked up by mammogram or ultrasound. A breast MRI finally was able to see through dense breasts and revealed a large mass.

This new primary breast cancer was unrelated to the first. It was a stage 3C ILC, 5.1cm tumor with 23 positive nodes. Bilateral mastectomy, chemo again...(yep lost my hair again)...full 3-field radiation, 5 years IV Zometa and now going on 8 years still taking daily Aromasin.

So the good news is I am a 13 year and 8 year survivor! Mammograms found my first cancer but totally missed the second. I still believe that until they have better screening technology, women 40 and over should get mammograms. If you have dense breasts, a personal history or family history, fight for a MRI which has better tumor detection.

Inform yourself about the true stats and risks of breast cancer.

Breast Cancer Risk in American Women - National Cancer Institute

Don't delay reporting to your doctor any unusual lumps or "thickened" areas you detect on your own. You know your body better than anyone else!

And if someday you hear those dreaded words...just know there are many, many survivors out here who prove treatment works and there is definitely LIFE after diagnosis!

We women are so good at taking care of others...let's take care of ourselves too!
    Very GOOD information shared, my friend!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOffItsMine View Post
    Over 40, get yourself a mammogram IMO. Early detection is key with any type of cancer.

My mother was 49 when she was diagnosed at stage 4 with a rare form of uterine cancer - she would have been in the 5% range based on risk factor. I was 29 with a 40% hereditary risk at that time, started with a pap test every 6 month, within 2 years the risk factor became known to rise to 70% - growing rapidly between 30 and 35. At age 36.5 my pap was negative, at 37 it was stage 2! I had a Radical Hysterectomy and all the required treatments involved. I've been a survivor for 17 years.

My mother's mother is one of nine girls, she died of a brain tumor, she had 3 mischarges and a hysterectomy, we're not sure if she had any signs of ovarian/cervical or uterine cancer. Six of her sisters died of breast cancer. Many breast cancer doctors feel that I wasn't at high risk because my mother didn't have breast cancer and my grandmother was once removed. However, I did have annual mammos since my 40th B-day and manual breast exams at my 6 months pap test by my gyno.

Last June I had my pap and mammo after missing 2 years due to lack of insurance, I found a County program for women over 50 which is for free by chance. I wasn't worried about my mammo at all, didn't feel anything. I was worried about my pap as I had been feeling crappy and not myself.

I got the call that my pap was negative. "Great" I said Then the pause on the other side. "But your mammogram shows some concern, the radiologist would like you to come back tomorrow morning." And so the TaTa story on The Forum began. It proved to have 3 nodes and malignancy. I had a stereoscopic biopsy done with radiation treatment and just last week had the follow-up mammo/ultrasound done. The mass was complete removed by the biopsy with clean tissue showing, the other two nodes have shrunk 70+% - I'm considered clean. I've beaten this second type of cancer! I feel blessed beyond words. Early detection is very important, especially in my case, all 3 nodes were deep against my chest wall. They CAN NOT be felt by a manual breast exam! Only can be detected by a mammogram and the two smaller ones were found during the ultrasound. Therefore, YOU need to make that call to your doctor and schedule a mammogram.

If you don't have insurance as many of us have lost our jobs or our spouses have lost their jobs and coverage. Call your county health agencies and tell them your age! Apparently there are various programs that are funded by state and federal programs for women both for breast and paps.

Also if you are a DES baby there are programs for health care for you as well. (Normally after a hysterectomy, you wouldn't get a pap but as a DES baby, I need to keep having paps for the rest of my life.)

"Diethylstilbestrol (DES) is a synthetic form of the female hormone estrogen. It was prescribed to pregnant women between 1940 and 1971 to prevent miscarriage, premature labor, and related complications of pregnancy (1). The use of DES declined after studies in the 1950s showed that it was not effective in preventing these problems."

Long story short...Get your Pap Yearly once you are sexually active, do your self breast exam monthly, have your doctor do a manual breast exam at your annual check up. After 40, schedule a Mammogram. When in doubt about something strange going on with your body, go to the doctor! Early detection can save your life!

Huggers, Ruby
    2xC Survivor and feeling very, very blessed (watched over by my angel "Mams")
    Wow! I am going to call. There is no history in my family (probably because most have died early due to heart disease) and I have no concerns so this is a perfect time to go. You all have been very honest and open and the best way to thank you is to get it done and be able to report back that everything is okay. Hugs to you and everyone else on here. &
    Hugs,
    Joanne

Happiness = fabric!