Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Photo/memory quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Thanks so much Suzette. Can you tell me if it bleeds when being washed? I have a HP photo printer. I will check to see if I can find some pigment ink for it.

Crystal
    Crystal - Mine didn't bleed. I have one quilt on my wall that's maybe ten years old or a little older and I have detected a bit of fading - but I don't think the casual observer would even catch it.

Your printer's ink is either pigment ink or dye. You won't be able to shop around for a different variety. But, the HP website should give you details about the kind of ink it uses. It's usually buried deep in "Specs" or something similar. Dye inks may work OK. I have no specific experience with them, so can't speak to that issue. I just know that pigment inks are more permanent.

Suzette

2. Thanks Crystal thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Suzette. I will just try it and see what happens.
    I ordered the Bubble Jet Set and Rinse. I was not going to use the rinse but read on the manufacturers site that you don't have too. You can use a mild detergent. Even said one like Synthrapol. I have never heard of it but will look for it. But they also said it really needs to be rinsed with the rinse or mild detergent after printing because it makes some kind of chemical reaction that sets the ink. If you just rinse in water it will not hold the ink. So I have to wait for the 2 bottles to come in. Not too bad on price. $10.51 for a 32oz bottle of the Bubble Jet Set and the manufacturers said one bottle will make about 50 or 60 sheets. Not too bad. The Rinse is only 16 oz and cost about $9. But I still think it is a deal. The fabric sheets are very expensive. 10 sheets for $22 for 200 count and 6 sheets for $20 but I got 40% off but don't have enough coupons for the amount of packs I would need. So I am hoping the Bubble Jet works. I did buy some white and cream 100% cotton also to test on. I will let y'all know how they come out. But I have to wait about a week to get the Bubble Jet Set and Rinse.
    Thanks again for all y'all help and advice.
    Crystal

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate this question so much. I'm wanting to make a memory quilt (actually 8 similar ones). I have a group of neighbors I do things with and we call ourselves the "Nit-Wits". I want to make 9 square wall hangings. A picture of each of our homes and a picture of the group of us somewhere fun. I've thought about using material that reminds me of each person for the sashing between the blocks. Like one of the Nit-Wits has a smiley face on her car and a smiley face flag. One is an avid book collector. One is a baking genus and so on. So hopefully I can get started on them and have them ready by Christmas.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Thanks Suzette. I will just try it and see what happens.
    I ordered the Bubble Jet Set and Rinse. ...Not too bad on price. $10.51 for a 32oz bottle of the Bubble Jet Set and the manufacturers said one bottle will make about 50 or 60 sheets. Not too bad. The Rinse is only 16 oz and cost about $9. But I still think it is a deal.
    Crystal
    I found it to be quite economical. I soaked my fabric pieces in a small stainless steel bowl one or two at a time, so I didn't pour a lot into a basin. it went a long way. I think you'll be happy with it. I ironed my dried sheets onto freezer paper. The whole process really works well. Be sure to let us know how it goes for you.

suzette

6. Thanks Crystal thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

This is something that I am wanting to make. Any pics and tips from you guys?

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Suzete, A question or rather 3 questions. Did you wring them out gently? Did you dry them on a towel or hang dried? After they were dry did you iron them before ironing onto freezer paper? So sorry for all the questions. And thank you so much for the help.
    Crystal