Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are your favorite items used in Quilting/Sewing that did not start out for Quilting?

Some of my favorite things: 1) Creative Grid rulers. I use all sizes, but I use the 6.5" square one a lot. 2) Magnetic pin holders. I keep one on my sewing table & one on the ironing bd., where I pin my blocks. When the pins all end up next to my machine, I just switch them. 3) Quilting pins. I don't use a stiletto, just one of the long quilting pins to feed the fabric & hold down the seam edges. 4) Seam ripper - of course, what would we do w/o that! 5) Best Press spray for getting out all those fabric folds & wrinkles. 6) Machingers quilting gloves. They work great when sewing long strips as well as when doing FMQ. 7) Clover pen for those stubborn bulky seams. 8) Boards for setting out my quilt blocks before they're sewn together. 9) Hem gauge to measure when turning over & pinning bindings. I'm sure there are more, but that's what comes to mind at the moment. JCY

2. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are your favorite items used in Quilting/Sewing that did not start out for Quilting?

Canvas painting boards for holding blocks or pieces in "piles" that can move with me from cutting to sewing to layout areas of the room (house)

Blue painter's tape for marking blocks after layout so I don't mix up their location while I sew (I number them and put an arrow under each number to show which way it goes, all the arrows go the same way on the whole quilt)

I agree with having a large covered cup of water otherwise I don't drink enough - I fill mine with ice and then just top off with water, and I bring a bottle of water in there with me too. As I drink the cold water I top off from the bottle and don't have to get up to refill as often.

Salon hair dye bottle (or could use a ketchup/mustard bottle from the dollar store) filled from the filtered water tap in my fridge for filling my iron - the spout makes it easy to fill without spilling, plus the filtered water keeps less mineral build-up in the iron (learned the bottle trick from Fons & Porter).

A few feet of vinyl tubing cut into thin strips and then cut open make great bobbin tidy's - they wrap around the thread but are clear so you can still see the thread color at quick glance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060539.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	68028 (not my photo)

Golf tees to hold the bobbins onto the spool of thread they match up to

All kinds of Command hooks around the sewing room - they hold my rulers on the wall and on the side of my shelves within easy reach but still off surfaces where they get in the way

T-square - I had this from when I was taking art classes and use it to quickly cut fabric. It pushes up against the edge of my cutting table and I can slide it without having to worry if my lines are parallel. Bonus is that it is very unlikely that it will shift because the pressure is against a hard surface and it has nowhere to go. Just use a quilt ruler to measure how far over I've slid the T and then move the ruler to cut against it. I have my largest cutting mat taped down to the table so that the T is lined up with the grid lines.

4. Thanks Slokarma, KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MRoy View Post
    Harbor Freight also has 4" magnetic parts bowls that make great pin holders and a small hand tool with a point on each end that can be used as a stiletto.
    I bought one of those bowls for my pins A small one at JoAnn's was pretty pricey compared to the large one I got at the tool store It works great and was so much cheaper.

I also purchased a kitchen rack that hangs on the wall with 'S' hooks from IKEA that I hung on the wall of my sewing room. I use it to hang my embroidery hoops from. I also use the big clear yard waste plastic bags to wrap my bolts of fabric in. I like the clear because I can see the material and it keeps them free of dust.
    Thank you,

Ginny K

6. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked on the harbor freight website - there is a coupon (in store only) for a free 6" magnetic parts bowl.... actually there are 6 coupons there, the light looks like it may come in handy at some point! Looked up locations and found a store 10 minutes from me that I never knew existed! Love this forum...
    as a side note - if you have a computerized machine, be sure not to put anything magnetized too close!
    Last edited by songbird857; February 10th, 2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: additional info

8. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How about a toilet brush? (New and clean, of course.) It is used to pick up threads from carpet or from your design wall. As well, it will provide a good laugh to the recipients.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

10. Thanks KathyCrofoot, Slokarma thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I just decided to put up a towel bar in my sewing room, with S hooks to hang things from. Dollar store bar should work just fine!

12. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IllineSmith View Post
    I just decided to put up a towel bar in my sewing room, with S hooks to hang things from. Dollar store bar should work just fine!
    Will the S hooks fit through the hole in rulers? I was thinking of something to organize my rulers that have holes in them, and the towel bar/S hook idea is great.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I like using Blue Painters Tape for labeling, marking my machine and taping my quilt to layer it.
    I like to use the big binder clips to hold the quilt together and blocks when piecing them.
    I even have used a pacifier clip to hook onto my scissors on to myself or my ironing board, so I don't keep losing them.
    Empty pill bottles for used needles.
    Post it notes, and portable USB sticks

I really like the idea of a sticky rolling brush to pick up threads..never thought of that.
    Last edited by momtutor; February 11th, 2014 at 01:13 AM.
    Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

15. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I may have missed it in all the responses, but ziplock bags. I use the gallon size to store blocks, projects midway, all sorts of things. After Christmas, DD and I bought all the clearance holiday ziplock bags Target had. We're stocked for a good year longer!

17. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Packing peanuts or other small pieces of Styrofoam. If I have thread that is difficult, such as metallic or one that twists or shreds, after putting the spool on the spindle, I thread it through a hand sewing needle and then push the threaded needle through a packing peanut, remove the hand needle and thread the machine as usual leaving the thread through the packing peanut. For some reason the packing peanut/Styrofoam take the twist out of the thread and I have no problem stitching with any kind of thread.

19. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post