Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Question What are your favorite items used in Quilting/Sewing that did not start out for Quilting?

I am going to a couple quilting retreats over the next couple of months and I want to do 'goody' bags for my friends of favorite quilting items that may not have necessarily started out to be sewing/quilting items. I'm wondering if you have any unusual-use items you could share?

I'll start:
    1) Bobbin Bikinis - teeny-tiny fuzzy pony tail holders that fit nicely on bobbins and spools to keep the thread under controlClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-08 06.15.05.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	67868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-08 06.16.05.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	67869 I got these at Wal-mart, a package of 3 tubes (36) for about $4.00. I found a package of 100 at the party store for .99 last night.
    2) Seam ripper - an eyebrow shaper. I got this tip from right here on the forum. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-08 06.17.07.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	67870 Package of 3 at Wal-mart for $1.97.

3) Thread pick-up aka Lint Roller. Especially useful after using the seam ripper! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-08 06.17.26.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	67871

I have more, but want to see what you can come up with.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are your favorite items used in Quilting/Sewing that did not start out for Quilting?

Locking forceps. I use them for grabbing the thread to pull it through the needle of the machine (good eyesight but huge man hands), I also use it to help flip things inside out while sewing. Also a lot of other uses around the house so I own several pairs.
    Not getting much sewing done lately. #Parenting

3. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are your favorite items used in Quilting/Sewing that did not start out for Quilting?

Many quilters use the toe separators that are used for pedicures to keep bobbins organized. You can get them at the Dollar Store. I couldn't quilt without the sticky lint roller. I use rubberized shelf liner to stabilize my ruler when cutting with the rotary cutter. Just cut out a circle, rectangle or a heart and slide it under the 'off' edge of the ruler. If you can find the red liner it would be cute to cut out some hearts. Super cheap and handy gifties!

5. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Frixion pens. Pipe cleaners to get in the nooks & crannys of my machine.

7. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

1.a nylon kitchen scrubbie, to clean your mats, ironing boards off. works great.
    2.a tube of chapstick . put chapstick on lips, then run your thread over the lips, thread the needle.so awesome works great.
    I may post more later. I didn't know about the "seam ripper" at wallyworld. Thanks for the tip.
    Have fun with your goody bags,

9. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Kathy.

Hugs Ann

11. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight carries these little metal rods with magnets at the end - so handy for finding lost pins and needles. One other thing is to buy small bowls from a thrift store and glue magnets to the bottom for pin holders. Small tubes of hand lotion are also nice to have handy for dry hands.

13. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Color Catchers!
    Maybe 5 or 6, wrapped in a bow...
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

15. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EsGrandma View Post
    Harbor Freight carries these little metal rods with magnets at the end - so handy for finding lost pins and needles. One other thing is to buy small bowls from a thrift store and glue magnets to the bottom for pin holders. Small tubes of hand lotion are also nice to have handy for dry hands.
    Harbor Freight also has 4" magnetic parts bowls that make great pin holders and a small hand tool with a point on each end that can be used as a stiletto.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

What about some bamboo wooden skewers? I buy a package for a dollar at dollar tree. Cut in half and you have a gzillion little fabric pointers to help move your fabric along while sewing. Keeps your fingers away from that needle and helps with those seams that pop up. I could see 2 of these in your goody bags. Best of all if your need would hit the wooden stiletto and crack it, you got a whole bunch of them.

That is the word I was looking for " stiletto"
    Last edited by deedum; February 8th, 2014 at 12:59 PM.

18. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post