• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Annie Pearl
    Prairie Pointer
    • Jan 2014

Looking for a new steam iron.

I have been looking for a new steam iron. I was wondering what brands everyone thinks is best. I understand that Rowenta is good brand. Tell me what you use.
  • kensington
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: Looking for a new steam iron.

I have the T-Fal Ultra glide. I got it at Target (I think) a few years ago. Auto shut off, and to get it to come on all I have to do it move it. It heats up within a minute, I don't use steam when I press my quilting blocks and tops, I starch, but nothing sticks to it ever. If I melt some starch on it, I just press down as I run it along the edge of my board and it comes right off. My son melted a shirt last week, same thing, just press and pass or use a scrungie sponge and it's gone. If I want steam it has three levels of steam. Overall, I've been very happy with it. I think it was less than $50.

Comment

• Pandabear
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2013

Black and Decker. An old one for using iron on fusible and a newer, somewhat heavier one for my quilts.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2012

I highly recommend the Eurosteam Evolution iron with one BIG hesitation: the price. This is a specialty iron, although you can use it for both clothing and quilting. I tell you, it irons my blocks so incredibly nice and smooth, it's unbelievable. At one point I had several blocks hanging on my design wall, half were ironed with my Rowenta, half with my Eurosteam Evolution. The difference was startling! The Eurosteam blocks were substantially smoother and flatter.

The Eurosteam is now available at QVC:
        http://www.qvc.com/Eurosteam-Steam-Iron-wBoiler-Tank-&-Lint-Brush-Attachment-Search-Results.product.V31940.html?sc=V31940-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-V31940&catentryImage=http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/v/40/v31940.001?$uslarge$

That price is $50 cheaper than I paid at a quilt show and $150 cheaper than they sell it on their web site.

The iron is a steam generator. That means it has a separate chamber with a separate heating element to make steam. You cannot adjust the temperature setting, so it may not work with the most delicate of fabrics. I can't speak to that because I have a special ironing board cover that totally prevents scorching. You also have to take very good care of the iron, making sure to empty all water in between uses. But these things pale in comparison with the crisp blocks I get from pressing with the Eurosteam.
        Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• kensington
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2012

Wow, Guitar Gramma, I'm in sticker shock. I could never pay 150.00 for an iron I could not leave the water in. That would not balance it out for me.

Comment

• Mpyles
            Missouri Star
            • Feb 2013

Oh I don't know...I think I could if it was an effective tool. Any tool is worth the price if it does the job you need it to ...to me.
            Mary
            SW Missouri

Comment

• bhaggerty
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2012

I use a Rowenta and very happy with it.
              Got it at Kohl's on sale
              Happy Quilting!

Comment

• Dayna
                Prairie Pointer
                • Jan 2014

I have the Steam Shark and I love it! I think I bought it at Costco for around $45-$50. My BIL is former military and he requested the Rowenta, for Christmas one year as he still presses everything with military precision.
                Dayna

Comment

• Dalronix
                  Binding Belle
                  • Jul 2013

I've had one of these for a week now and absolutely love it:

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/quilting-questions/24819-survey-best-iron-quilters-2.html#post325217

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by Dalronix; January 30, 2014, 09:13 PM.
                  ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

• Pattycake
                    Applique Angel
                    • May 2011

I bought an Oliso on Black Friday at Joann's and love it. I have a Steam Shark that is great, but I like the automatic lift on the Oliso. I've had 3 Rowentas and they all leaked, spit and sputtered. We bought the Rowentas Professional for DH, a retired USMC colonel, to do his ironing as it has to be military inspection quality, but it's too heavy for me.

Comment

• Dalronix
                      Binding Belle
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Pattycake View Post
                      I bought an Oliso on Black Friday at Joann's and love it..
                      I bought one of these last week. Do you empty it after every use as per the instructions? No matter how hard I try I can't seem to completely empty it and I'm wondering if I should bother.
                      ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

• shermur
                        Missouri Star
                        • Mar 2013

Hubby bought me a new Blacker and Decker for Christmas and I love it.....
                        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• BarleyBear
                          Fabric Fanatic
                          • Jan 2014

I have had many Rowentas but they always seem to start to leak and sputter and make a big mess out of everything. I am very hard on an iron. I iron all my hubby's and boys dress clothes and use it for quilting. So frustrated. Seems like Rowenta's last about 1 year for me.

Comment

• djuseless
                            Beginning Stitcher
                            • Oct 2013

I totally agree with you about the T-Fall Ultra Glide iron. I got mine at Kmart for $50 and I LOVE IT!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X