Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a new steam iron.

I have both the Panasonic cordless versions, flat bottom and football shape. I use flat bottom when piecing, I can set it up on board like a regular iron when repositioning the pieces to flatten them. I use the football one when ironing the entire top and during the sandwiching process. Both have been going strong for 3 years now. I do have a Rowenta... leaker city too. I have an auto shut off one (either rowenta or sharp, can't remember) but every 5 min I would need to move it to keep it from shutting off. These days the weight of an iron is another issuer for me. Can't do heavy irons any more.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A very hot iron is better than a heavy iron since it's the heat, not the weight that presses our fabrics. I love Black & Decker irons for this reason. The one's I have owned got very hot but were not heavy and did a great job. But about eight years ago I was given a Rowenta for a gift. It has worked flawlessly for me all this time. The only downside is that it is a heavier iron than my B&D was, but it does the job and does it well and works as well today as the day I got it (never once has it leaked or sputtered either) and I use my iron on a daily basis. So I am a pretty happy quilter with my Rowenta...
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    I've heard "experts" say that Rowenta irons tend to leak. Does yours? (I presume the one with the external water tank doesn't leak.)
    The only time mine leaks is if I over-fill it past the full mark, so that's user error and not a faulty iron. Otherwise it's dry as a bone. The external tank one doesn't store any water in the iron itself.
    Last edited by chelea; September 14th, 2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Michele

To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chelea View Post
    The only time mine leaks is if I over-fill it past the full mark, so that's user error and not a faulty iron. Otherwise it's dry as a bone. The external tank one doesn't store any water in the iron itself.
    That is so good to know. Thank you! When I was a member of QNN TV, Mark Lipinski made a really crass joke about Rowenta's leaking, and I've had trouble getting the mental image out of my head. You may have cured me!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?