Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pets Thread! Tell me about your pets past or present...

Pets, lets see . . .
    When I was young we had all manner of pets, and non-pet animals. Neighbors weren't exactly thrilled that we had chickens and rabbits in the backyard, as it wasn't exactly farm country in our nice neighborhood in central Florida. You know the kind that has a neighborhood association (before they became a big thing) that set guidelines for things like yard maintenance and organized the driveway candle lights around Christmas. As I recall, at one time we had 4 dogs (German shepherd, Australian shepherd, Golden Lab and a mut) 2 cats (Siamese), 12 chickens, and 8 rabbits. I think that was when Dad was out of work and the chickens & rabbits augmented our pantry. With 7 kids we had to do everything we could.
    Anyway, I don't recall what happened to most of them. Other than the chickens & rabbits that became meals. But Sam, the Australian Shepherd I'll never forget. She was my favorite dog. Sadly, she was hit by a car one night about a week before her puppies were due. We found her the next morning when we headed out to the bus stop for school. I skipped school that day.
    I didn't have another pet until I was much older. Since moving out on my own I've had 2 different cats, 2 Burmese pythons, a plethora of tropical fish of which my angle fish were my favorite. Two dogs on different occasions that I lost in the divorce. Now I have my Sara, a Siberian Husky that is too spoiled for her own good. Also, I am seriously considering getting a Mastiff. I know, that a lot of dog, but I think a Mastiff would fit right in with my family now. A fawn colored female Mastiff, yep, that would just make this family complete.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We are cat people now. They are so stuff and cuddly and have such personalities. As a kid growing up I had all kinds of pets. We had dogs, cats, fish, hamsters,parakeets, rabbits. I lived next door to my Aunt and Uncle and they had horses, chickens, ducks and dogs. When I got married we tried dogs but they were bad and chewed the furniture while we were at work. we had hermit crabs and a cockatiel and a small parrot. But always a cat. Hubby grew up with dogs , cats and his lizards Dizzy and Lizzy, but his mom put them outside in the tank one day and fried them.. At the moment we are down to one kitty Our special Bugger. We took her mom in not knowing she was expecting. she was tiny and had a difficult time so I had to help her with the birthing. I actually cut the cord on this one. Thats one of the things that makes her special.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my kitty 003.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	66515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bugger and tote bag swap bag 003.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	66516
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Right now we just have Gustavus Adolphus, a 100 lb. Giant Schnauzer rescue, and Glanders, an 88 lb. Giant Schnauzer/Irish Wolfhound rescue.

Gustavus Adolphus, Gus, is pitch black and has a scar on his right eye, thyroid issues, and has diabetes insipidus (water diabetes). We warn people to be slow approaching him from the right as he startles and will growl at you. He loves beings brushed, being under my blow dryer when I do my hair...weird I know. He does NOT like small children however. Not good when our oldest GS is 6. The kids say that Gus is "broken" and they leave him alone. When they come over, Gus trots upstairs and puts himself in his crate as a warning to leave him alone. He was abused before we got him, he has scars to prove and calluses from having been chained to cement. He was one of the "West Virginia 18." There was a woman who said that she was a rescuer, but in reality she was a hoarder. The dogs were filthy, uncut, wormy, bruised, traumatized. Gus was 18 months when we got him, he now just turned 9 and thinks that he is still 2. He loves going to the cabin and dancing in the waves, going in the boat to "eat" the water on the side of the boat. HE also at 10 left shoes of mine. My good work shoes and only the left, even when the right was available. We decided that he was "left mouthed." When he ate the left shoe of the ones that I wore to #2DS wedding, we had a serious talk!

Glanders is also 9. He was a present to my hubby from our youngest son and DIL. He was a rescue also and we got him at a no-kill shelter. My DIL says that sometimes she feels bad about giving Glanders to Dad, but it doesn't last long...LOL. He is a very sensitive pup...all dogs are puppies in our house until they die. He is a B I G pup who has decided that he can talk to us. HOW FUNNY. He comes and yammers at us when he wants to go out. We have no tops to our picket fence because he has bitten the tops off of them. When he sees other dogs and he can't go play with them he just bends his head and chomps off the top. Hubby has 278 pickets to replace....sigh...

We lost our minny schnauzer, Greta Garbo three years ago. She was the brains of the bunch. She would tell the boys what to do and they would follow her around. When she passed, they looked for her for six months.

In addition to those, we have had five other rescues come through our lives and bless us with their lives. You can't have a better pet enter your life than a rescue...they are so thankful that you have given them a new life and repay that with devotion.
    Home is where your mother is..........

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I have actually only had 2 pets that were my own. When I was and married to my first husband I had a little black toy poodle named Susie. My current hubby had to take her to have her put down because neither my ex nor my self could do it. Then when my DD was 14. my step DD found a wounded Husky laying out by her shed covered in blood. She took him in, cleaned him up, took him to the vet, and called us to see if we knew anyone that would want him. I was napping at the time, so DD and her BF decided to go get the dog. It was there when I woke up. I fell in love. But DH was gonna have none of it. He made it perfectly clear that the kids were not keeping that dog. So the BF took it to his house, where his dad would not allow it in the house. This was December and he had a broken leg. Well for the next 3 days I spoke very little to DH. After day 3 when he called me me from work and I was giving him monosyllabic answers. He asked me if I was mad about the dog. I proceeded to inform him that he never asked me what I thought about the dog, he just made a blanket statement as if that was how it was gonna be. After that conversation I went and picked up the dog. The vet estimated his age at about 7 mo. and I had him with me for 15 yrs. Losing him broke my heart, and I have not had a pet since. That was 5 yrs ago. I don't think I will ever have another one. My Max is buried out in the back yard. Even my oldest GD still misses him.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My BF and I have 7 cats in a 900 sq ft apartment. They've all come from the street, two we got as 2-3 week old kittens. Our oldest cat is 8-9 yrs old and our youngest is 3 months old. I consider them all to be my BF's cats because honestly they prefer him to me. Their names are Shadow, Rebel, Coal, Missy, Sassy, Mango, and Whiskers. Last year we lost two cats, one to cancer, Daphne, and the other was a tragic accident, Rascal, when he was just 2 months old.

Pam in Vegas
    Pam in Vegas

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madampolo View Post
    We live on 20 acres and have seven little goats. You haven't seen cute until you see a baby goat jumping around. I had chickens at one time, but something got them. I want to get some more chickens when it warms up. We have people that put cows on the place in a rotation with other pastures. I love it when the cows are here, except when they get inside the yard and eat my plants. We are electrifying our front gate so I won't need to get in and out to open it when the cows are here. We have a lot of deer, and sometimes have 15 of them eating corn we leave for them. We have three cats, and I want to get a small adult dog soon.
    Our neighbors own 22 acres behind our house and one year they had miniature goats in the pasture and I've never seen anything so entertaining in my life. The neighbors had put up stalls for the mommies when they were getting ready to give birth to the baby goats and had covered the stalls with tarps to keep them warm and dry. Well after a while, because of the wind, the tarps just hung off the stalls. The baby goats would climb up to the top of the tarps and slide back down them just like children on slides...so funny!
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoots View Post
    My BF and I have 7 cats in a 900 sq ft apartment. They've all come from the street, two we got as 2-3 week old kittens. Our oldest cat is 8-9 yrs old and our youngest is 3 months old. I consider them all to be my BF's cats because honestly they prefer him to me. Their names are Shadow, Rebel, Coal, Missy, Sassy, Mango, and Whiskers. Last year we lost two cats, one to cancer, Daphne, and the other was a tragic accident, Rascal, when he was just 2 months old.

Pam in Vegas
    Hey Pam...Glad to see you back on the forum again, missed you! Genny
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny