Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Giveaway Week 17 - May 1st - 6th 2011

Congratulations to SummerK! Random.org chose you to win the 500 Quilters Cash Points from last weeks giveaway! Sounds like you had a happy easter! Now it's 500 points happier!

So I hope I haven't confused anyone to badly I realized today that as I've copy and pasted my initial congrats statement in the giveaways that I've been using one of the congrats on 1000 points statements. Even though in the contests I've been stating that they are for 500 points Sorry about that I'm gonna have to be a little more careful with my pasting to make up for it and the fact that I'm 2 days late (atleast that doesn't mean a baby!) let's have a real 1000 point giveaway!

So for a chance at 1000 points just reply on this post to this question Have you ever sewn anything besides quilts? This question doesn't assume that you've even sewn quilts really! Maybe you're just a fabric collector that admires and dreams and maybe your on your 100th quilt (this sounds like an amazing task to me, but I suppose there are probably some who've done more!)
    Just tell me if you've ever been tempted or tortured into the fabric world beyond quilting.
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giveaway Week 17 - May 1st - 6th 2011

Congrats SummerK, have fun spending your points.

In answer the question, boy have I. I started sewing between 8th and 9th grade. My mother told me what I could spend on school clothes, smart me asked her to teach me to sew so that I could have more clothes. I have sewn everything from play clothes for my children to prom dresses. I spent waaaaaayy to much for the fabric for DGD 1st holloween costume. I am making drapes for a few of the guys down here working with my husband. Quilting is something I have been wanting to try and finally have the time to indulge. Finished a baby quilt top today for a charity auction next week on FB.
    Hola from sunny Mexico, Cheryl

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I started sewing clothes for myself in junior high and continued for several years. I also worked for Levi Strauss and Company for seven years, two years on the sewing floor and 5 in the cutting room as marker planner. (the person in charge of making sure the patterns were correct coming out of San Francisco, and that we were cutting what was needed to fill contracts) I can probably sew a back pocket on a pair of jeans faster than anyone you know. I averaged about 1560 per 8 hour day. I've made seat covers, boat covers, barbie clothes, baby clothes, air conditioner covers and just about everything else that can be made with a sewing machine, and go figure, I still hand quilt.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to SummerK!!
    I have been sewing clothes since the 60s, first for my Barbies, then for myself, then for my kids and home! I also did upolestry (sp? man that is so wrong!) with my Mom when I was in my teens. Once I found quilting I have not really done of much along the lines of fashion sewing. I find that patterns are not really true to size and it is frustrating.
    I just started machine quilting in 2010 but have been hand quilting since 1976. I save my hand sewing for applique!
    Patti
    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

OH yes! I've sewn since High School. Took a beginning sewing class and got a A+++ because I was so obsessed with perfection.
    I have sewn Halloween costumes for my children since before they could walk. They are now adults.
    Made all kinds of tablecloths, placemats, pillowcases, aprons, curtains, Barbie clothes, baby blankets, hats, the list goes on and on.
    I worked in a garment factory sewing piece work. Loved those machines!! SO FAST!!!
    I usually have several projects going at once along with my quilting projects. Just finished a quilt for my grandson.
    I was taught hand quilting and still prefer that to machine. Very comforting for me.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have sewn since I was little. I was in 4H and sewed many outfits for fashion reviews. I did not sew much after junior high. About 5 years ago, with 15 years away from my sewing machine, I started sewing again. I've made some clothing, some blankets, and most recently cloth diapers. In the last 8 months, I've fallen in LOVE with quilting. Jenny's tutorials got me hooked on pre cuts; but now I am quilting with yardage too. Absolutely loving it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Summer K!
    I started sewing on my mom's old Singer when I was little. I now have her machine and it works beautifully. I also sewed in my teens with my grandmother - made a few outfits - mini one piece dresses and some shorts. I never really liked sewing clothes.
    I started quilting when I was 38 and haven't stopped. I do machine piece and machine quilt, but prefer the hand quilting, so relaxing. I've made pillow covers, fleece blankets, and little projects like tissue covers and pillowcases.
    Well, have a great day everyone!
    Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats SummerK!!

I started actual sewing in Jr. High Home Ec class. We started with an apron, then a pillow then moved up to clothing. I made a 3 layered cowgirl style skirt and a matching vest...I loved it!!
    I still have a passion for aprons, and make them as often as I can.
    ~Mary
    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been sewing for many years. The first sewing job I did was to sew the arm back on one of my sister's dolls. I was five. I'm now getting ready to turn 60. Before moving temporarily to London I had a small sewing business for three years. I've sewn lots of things and actually have done less quilting than regular sewing. In my business I did alterations, home decorating, some custom clothing (don't like doing that), made some of my clothes, my kid's clothes, costumes, crafting that involves sewing, etc. Without my sewing machines I would be totally lost!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Giveaway Week 17 - May 1st - 6th 2011

I started my sewing adventure in 5th grade. My mom tried to teach but to no avail (I wouldn't listen) lol. So needless to say I was self taught & used to make a lot of my own clothing. Now you couldn't pay me to sew clothes! Way to much adjusting, never fits right, plus these days it is no longer less expensive like it used to be. I find quilting much more to my taste. It is a wonderful creative outlet and the rules are pretty easy. If you can pretty much sew a straight line you can make a quilt