Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hi from Hungary and a Question

Ladies,
    First, thank you for the warm welcome. I've been reading threads for a few weeks now, and finally decided to become a part of the family.
    As suggested, the fat quarters are short. Argh. Oh well, the solids are so pretty it's now just an excuse to purchase more : )

Jean, Budapest is incredible--definately one of my favorite cities. If you get a chance to come back, Prague and Krakow are my favorites! You'll have to shot me an email first though, because it would be lovely to meet.

Again ladies, thank you for the warm welcome. I look forward to becoming friends with everyone.

: )april

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by April Jaehn View Post
    Ladies,
    First, thank you for the warm welcome. I've been reading threads for a few weeks now, and finally decided to become a part of the family.
    As suggested, the fat quarters are short. Argh. Oh well, the solids are so pretty it's now just an excuse to purchase more : )

Jean, Budapest is incredible--definately one of my favorite cities. If you get a chance to come back, Prague and Krakow are my favorites! You'll have to shot me an email first though, because it would be lovely to meet.

Again ladies, thank you for the warm welcome. I look forward to becoming friends with everyone.

April, I did visit Prague and that city was A-MA-ZING! An international visit with you would be so much fun! Do you find it easy or difficult to find quilting supplies in Hungary? I found some amazing ( and expensive!) table linens in Hungary. I did find one store in Prague that had a very smll amount of quilting fabric, I bought some beautiful fat quarters which I will use in a very special project in memory of my trip to Eastern Europe!

Honey Bun

I live in Puyallup Wa, but moving to Papa Hungary next month
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi April,

I live in Washington State but in November I will be moving to Papa Hungary, I am a little bit nervous, I have never been there before, my question is are there quilting groups there? Can you please let me know.

Thank you so much foe your help

Rosa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rosa, I'm so glad you saw this post--I was just getting ready to find your introductory post and link it here! Nice to know there is someone who can answer your question. If there isn't a quilting group already there, maybe the two of you could start one.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, April! First, thanks for your service. Second, welcome to the forum!
    Third, just an fyi: I was making a little zippered bag last evening with a couple of Fat Quarters I had bought at JoAnn's. One of them has a distinctive print that is in rows (not exactly stripes); I had to lop off a good inch on the top and bottom to get the print straight. Also, the f/q tag actually admits that the piece is only 18" by 21", not 22" which would have made it much easier. So, yeah, you need to measure those pre-cuts before you begin!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Rosa,

WOW! It's such a small world! There is a bible study quilt block, but I have not attended that group. There are a few of the women who are interested and with you coming in, we will definately need to start our own little Pápa Guild! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Grace has probably already touched base with you, but I am always available to answer questions from another quilter : ) We've been here for two years--came from Florida--and we love it! Be prepared though--we have nothing here--no BX, commissary, bowling alley, finance, education center, nothing. But, the travel opportunities are INCREDIBLE and, in my humble opinion, the positives outweigh all the inconveniences.
    If possible I recommend getting your sewing machine serviced before you arrive. There is a local shop here; however, if your machine is computerized they will not be able to maintenance it. Nearest center is 40km away in Gyor or more than likely in Austria (2 hour drive). Also stock up on your favorite fabrics. We have a fabric shop in town, but it is not good quality. I order my fabrics on-line.

Sorry for the novel, but it's exciting how small the world is. I look forward to meeting you and please ask any questions you have!

Sally--that is good to know! And thank you so much for the kind words. I love this place and how welcoming everyone is!
    Last edited by April Jaehn; August 28th, 2014 at 12:03 PM.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in Szeged, Hungary for a year (1996-97) and traveled to several other beautiful spots in that charming country. Still have friends and someone we call our Hungarian "daughter" in Budapest. The turn the country is making away from the freedoms so valued after the Iron Curtain came down is disappointing to see.

Is quality cotton for quilting easy to find? I remember seeing fabric stores when I lived there but I was teaching and had no sewing machine then nor even an interest in quilting. Enjoy your time in Hungary.