Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Sewing Room Design

What a wonderful husband I have. We have a long (bowling alley like) living room, he has agreed to take one end and put up a wall and create me a new quilting room. It won't be large so I will have to be very efficient in my design. The room will be 11 1/2 by 8 1/2. One of the 8 1/2 walls will be my design wall. After you take two doorways out straight across from each other next to the design wall I will have 3 walls to fill with cupboards and sewing/cutting areas. If figure two walls 7 1/2 and one 8 1/2 in a U shape. I have a large folding ironing board that will be usable in the middle of the room and mobile.

Please give me ideas of what to do to each wall. There are no windows in this area so I will need to incorporate good lighting as well.

What would you do for flooring? I am thinking a really nice vinyl floor.

Exited for this project to get started but don't want to start until I have a really good plan drawn up.

Thanks for all ideas.

Jana

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Sewing Room Design

Sounds wonderful. I think a vinyl or wood floor would be best. Anything that is easy cleanup. Lots of shelving. Iam still in the process of figuring out what works best in my small craft room so I will be watching this thread as well for some wonderful ideas and to see how yours comes out
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see it completed
    Vinyl is nice because you can use it to sandwich your quilts and a really cool idea I had seen was taking different color vinyl and creating a vinyl floor that looks like a quilt pattern
    For me the issue I have is storage! I only have two walls in my sewing room (two windows on one wall and French doors on another) so I am limited. I have fabric everywhere right now and it drives me crazy.
    If you do a search on Google for 'Sewing Room Designs' there are so many ideas and pics out there that you can look at and see what would work best for you.
    I have two windows and still have four OttLights in my room. Two floor lamps and two desk lamps. I have poor eye sight so I need the light lol. I love the OttLights because they truly show the color of the fabrics.
    I can't wait to see what you do.
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Flooring: NO carpet. Laminate tile or wood flooring, IMHO. Sweeping is easier than vacuuming. And get a roly chair. Yay! Have fun.
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh you lucky lady...with a great husband! I would go with wood or vinyl flooring . I have carpet in the little room I've made into my sewing room and have to vacuum constantly and heaven help it if I drop a needle or pin!
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky you, chica!
    But I'm kind of visual, so I'll need pics.....
    SO exciting!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jana, try doing a search on the forum for sewing rooms or spaces.........there are a lot of listing with lots of ideas. I would also do an internet search of "sewing room organization on pinterest" of something similar. Be prepare to drool.......so many great ideas out there. Good luck and take some pictures to share with us.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	65651

This picture is lop sided (I can't figure out how to fix it) but this is the corner of the room where I sew. I have a harvest kitchen table from WalMart $99 I sit behind it and sew, but I do have sewing machines all around it. Behind me is my ironing board (under the quilted wall hanging). I like to sew, then spin around to press! and I have a few shelf units and drawer stacks on the side. Very efficient space. I cut on another rolling pre-fab kitchen island. This room is a work in progress, have to get closet doors up and this room seems to be the "home for unwanted furniture" but I think it'll all come together soon. But like the others said no carpet at all, and yes, you want a rolling chair.
    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

New sewing room, how exciting. I wanted shelves, but I also wanted something deeper than book shelves. My wonderful husband built mine and they are not permanent built-ins. I'm glad they are not built-ins because just as I thought my room was perfect, things change, so the room could change too. That worked for me...........

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You will love your own space.We turned my attached garage into a sewing room for me. I have laminate flooring lite in color. I have throw rugs on both sides of my cutting table and a bar stool on each side too. 2 rolly chairs, a ceiling fan,and several wicker trash cans sitting at every station. Lots of lighting is a must. I don't have enough I have an album of my room in my profile if you want to check it out.
    Congrats to you!