Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sapphire 960Q free motion NEED HELP - thread shreads itself!

Hi - I have had my Husqvarna Sapphire 960Q for about a month and I am not able to get the free motion to work properly. The thread shreds and then snaps and the stitches are not good. Any tips or help? I've tried stitching with 0 stitch length, 2.5 stitch length etc. I have tried using Coats and Gutermann thread which both worked on my old Toyota but shreads, bunches and then snaps. What am I doing wrong?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sapphire 960Q free motion NEED HELP - thread shreads itself!

Amy, I am having this same problem with my Husqvarna / Viking SE.....I am going to take it to the shop where I purchased it today to see if they can help me figure out what I did wrong. This is the first attempt for me at free motion quilting and I am sure whatever is wrong is my fault, not the fault of the machine.
    IF I find out any "generalized" info, I will come back to this thread, and let you know.

Just a suggestion....you have your "post" in the wrong section......You might try to put this comment in General Suggestions or Quilting ...????
    The section you put your post in is to learn how to use this site.....hope this helps !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

use a 14 or 16 top stitch needle.

check the thread path and make sure your thread is not getting hung up anywhere

rethread the whole machine, and try using a different thread

try a new bobbin

loosen the tension on the upper thread

slow down your hand movement if you are free motion quilting.

make sure ALL of your quilt is supported. any drag on the quilt will put tension on the needle

change the needle, there might be a bur on that one that is shredding the thread

That's all I can think of right now. try them one at a time till something works
    Dolores

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doloris.......I am in the process of taking the machine I have to the shop I purchased it from to see if they can tell me what I am doing wrong. I have changed the needle ( twice ) and re-threaded the machine 3 times......not to mention I changed the bobbin too.
    This all began when I changed the setting on my Viking / Husqvarna Designer SE to Free Motion Quilting setting ( the feed-dogs dropped as promised....) but the thread is all scrunched up etc.......and I am afraid to try too much more on my own. Like I have mentioned in previous posts, I have been sewing for a number of years, but this is my first attempt at any quilting .....and my first ( VERY FIRST ) time at trying FREE MOTION quilting, so it's obviously something I am doing wrong, and I think I should just take the machine to the shop to see what they think, before I do something really wrong and possibly hurt my machine. ( Not to mention I don't want my DH John fooling around with it either.....) LOL!

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Does this machine have a computer? When I switched from my Viking Emerald 183 to the Viking Opal 670, I had a hard time getting the tension adjusted correctly. Since the tension is pretty much set by the computer, one has to make the correct fabric choices. I discovered the FMQ works better on "woven medium" rather than "woven heavy". I have my tension set on ~4.8. I use a Top Stitch 90-14 needle. What kind of thread are you using? I like King Tut by Superior. A 40 wt. thread works better for FMQ, in my opinion. Hope you get it figured out soon. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just read on my yahoo group. Someone was asking about thread breaking and said when it came back from repair it had a ball point needle in it and worked great. She changed to topstitch needle for FMQ and thread started breaking again. Changed back and all was well again. Worth a try???
    Dolores

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I found that setting the pressure to -5 using foot R for free motion quilting almost eliminated the problem. Touch the FMQ icon to change the pressure setting. I hope this helps.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using polyester thread? I find that it is stronger than cotton and better for fmq. I like Isacord . Make sure you are using a new needle. Good luck.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
    but the thread is all scrunched up etc.......
    When I read about the scrunched up thread - are you bringing the bottom thread to the top before you start FMQ? When I was first starting with FMQ I would sometimes forget this step and end up with a birds nest of thread.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Try a bigger needle, even up to a 16. If that doesn't help try different thread and a thread stand instead of the spindle on the machine. If you do not have a thread stand, put the spool in a coffee cup that is placed to the right or your machine and run it through the eye of a safety pin that is taped to the top right of your machine.
    Are you quilting something that was spray basted? That has been a problem for me in the past, the larger needle helped in that instance.