Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Messy Rag Quilt

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Messy Rag Quilt

I REALLY want to make a rag quilt!! I know that I can MAKE it, but I'm scared to death concerning the "ragging." Haven't found a local laundromat (looking for 3 years now!), so that means I'll be using my own washer and dryer to create the "effect." How in the world do I prevent a catastrophe, with all the threads and lint??? It's certainly not going to be worth it, if I have to have my appliances serviced or replaced!! On the other hand, considering the commonality of rag quilts, there must be a way to accomplish this look, without consequences! What am I missing here?
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Messy Rag Quilt

When you pull it out of the washer - pull any long loose threads off before putting it in the dryer. Then empty your dryer lint tray every 5-10 minutes during drying time. Since you are in TX and I am assuming it is halfway warm there and it won't freeze, you can take it out of the washer and shake it outside before putting it in the dryer and every so often during drying time. I have done a fairly large quilt in my home machine. Lisa
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made several and they do make a big mess everywhere. When you're finished with the quilt, take it outside and shake it like a throw rug to get out as much lint as you can before your wash it. You need to do what Lisa said, check your dryer at least every 10 minutes and empty the lint. When it's about half-way dry, shake it outside again and then back to the dryer.

When you're all finished with the quilt, remember it will shed again the next time you dry it. Be sure to check your dryer vent when you're all done. If you have the flexible tube that goes to the dryer, it can get clogged or leave enough lint that cuts down on your drying time for other things. Your husband will be thrilled cleaning this out for you.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Do you need to do these things if you go to a laundry mat or just if you use your home machine?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

LOLOL - I think that is why a lot of people go to the laundry mat to wash rag quilts

Quote Originally Posted by andralynaa View Post
    Do you need to do these things if you go to a laundry mat or just if you use your home machine?
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I made a small rag quilt and I put it in a pillowcase to wash and dry. It kept the mess contained.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've done mine in my home machine, just had to clean all the strings out of the washer after and empty the lint trap several times during drying.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wash and dry mine at home. Usually after the first few washes and drying you won't get nearly as much lint.
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have made several at home with no problems. Only problem I ever had was my little pomeranian loves to stand under the dryer vent outside. She came in one day just loaded with threads!! And since she stands butt towards the vent, all her long hair blows forward and the strings really imbed in her fur. Now, they stay inside if I am drying a rag quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have washed and dried dozens of rag quilts at home. I have a high efficiency machine and have only had a minimal amount of lint in the wash tub. I do get a lot of lint in the dryer lint trap and clean it off about 3 times. Your quilt will shed quite a bit the second and third time it's washed and dried. When I make rag quilts to sell I wash and dry them two times. I've never had a clogged washer hose or dryer vent.