Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Jelly roll quilt top

Even when following Jean's instructions, how can I get my jelly roll quilt to NOT bunch similar colors together. I open the jelly roll and pull strips as they come off the jelly roll. My quilt top does not have a random look. I've got similar colors and/or patterns together...or is they the way it works...?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jelly roll quilt top

It's very hard to make the colors end up totally separated. One suggestion is to cut the strips in half, ths you have a better chance of the colors not touching. I made this one from a combination of whole and half width strips. But some strips still are touching similar strips. I haven't found any way to predict where they will or will not touch each other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	65168

Look in my albums for the jelly roll quilts. Some are better than others about being random. It's the nature of that pattern.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...ll-quilts.html
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; January 9th, 2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I've only done one but I did cut a random amount of the strips so they were different lengths. A few I cut in half, a few I cut a third off etc. Random. All pieces went into the quilt, no matter what the length. This helped with the look. Only a few of the same colors lined up together. If you think about how the strips ultimately line up with each other you realize it's ok to have like colors close together at the beginning. They end up being lined up further apart. Good luck! Post pictures!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

What size are your finished jelly roll quilts? I made one and its 39 x 60. Think I goofed. It will be different and interesting after I add borders etc. got to stay positive and creative. TeeHee