Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Franchising?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Franchising?

You are all adopted in to the Doan family

Franchising would be a cool idea, really would make it easier to start small quilt shops and such! We really are focused on our own community (both online and Hamilton) and think it's important to leave room for local quilt shops to do their thing. If we franchised, all our stores would carry the same fabric, and most of the fun of shop hops and checking out quilt shops is the random serendipitous finds that you come upon! We just couldn't replicate the value you currently find in having a bunch of independent shops, so we will do our darndest to build a great community online, because let's be honest, the more people we can get off of the Joann's wagon and back into real quilt shops (our own and others) the better off they and we will be So that's what we'll keep trying to do, build a great shop, drive as much value as we can to our customers and friends, and help teach new people how to enjoy what brings us so much joy!

If you have any ideas though, I am always all ears! Seriously, ask mom, I have really big ears.

Al

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

-- I'm wondering if -- Sew Seasonal -- will have it's only website?
    2015 is here
    Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your ears are just fine, Al.

I just let wish that you guys would teach the quilt shops here how to shop. Their inventory is sadly lacking in variety. It's like shopping someone's stash that doesn't have the same tastes as you and I know I have more precuts ...
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if each store will have their own tab on the M* homepage or if all will stay the same with the fabrics broken down into categories as they are now. I personally am looking forward to the Civil War fabric store.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Karen, that's a good point. There's a lot we could do to teach others who wanted to start their own shop. We know quite a bit about local marketing, relationships with manufacturers, buying strategies and keeping inventory.

If any of you all decide to start a shop, let's do some Q&A and help everyone out. I think that'd be fun!

And the Sew Seasonal shop won't have it's own website. It has it's own facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sewseasonalquilting mainly so you can check in there if you come visit. All the shops still share our same inventory brain, so from an online perspective, it's no different to you, we are just able to showcase more fabric by segmenting them off into their own shops. So it's more for the visitor to the shops than the visitor to the website. But we'll share lots of photos!!

6. Thanks Bratbear thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking to my shop owner where I buy my machines. Their shop was a fashion fabric shop for decades when his father was alive, then when the father passed and the son took over, they just started to concentrate on machines. Within the last 18 months, he got into quilt fabrics. He told me that unless you buy at a certain volume, you can't get some manufacturers to even talk to you about ordering. I suppose that is why some small shops have limited selection. I see that MSQC seems to have a full range of manufacturers' product lines, more every year. Glad of it, I am! The nuts and bolts of this business fascinates me! Let's have a retreat seminar for potential quilt shop owners, I'll be there for sure!

8. Thanks Bratbear thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Al, we all appreciate what you and your family does for not only your own community, but for us, your extended family. I know that judging by what I have been spending I could claim part of your family as a tax deduction! Continue to do what you do so well, with a deep thank you from all of us quilters out here.
    Home is where your mother is..........