Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Talking James & the Giant Night Owl

Welcome to 2014!

Today was the first day of "Back to Normal" around here. Family has come and gone, the decorations are mostly down & packed. School started and vacations are over.
    I know the 'need' to be up until all hours to get gifts done is over. I am finding that my night owl hours are a little earlier now.

I have seen folks pick a "word" for the year and try to live around it or up to it. I have thought it was an intriguing idea, but have never really had a word that I have felt would work for a whole year, or be useful for both good and the not-so good things that happen in a year.

Well, I'm going to try it this year. I was puttering around and a word just wandered in. It seems to want to stay and has many ways to be applied. It isn't an absolute and gives me some wiggle room, unlike a New Year's Resolution.

My word for 2014 is "Less".

If you had to choose a theme word (or even a few) for your year, what would it be?
    You don't have to give your reasons and we won't hold you to it!
    Last edited by toggpine; January 7th, 2014 at 03:44 AM.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: James & the Giant Night Owl

I have been thinking about this for a few days. My word for 2014 is "NO". For too long, I've said YES.
    MISA
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, interesting proposition. I think mine is free. Not as in free stuff, but in other ways. Spirit, thought, self. That is my word, and I think this is a wonderful idea.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love... that is my word for the year. No matter what happens or what people do to disappoint me, anger me, sadden me, or trouble me... I will LOVE them anyway. That includes myself as well.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Misa - "No" is a hard word to use. It does get easier, but at first the guilt is hard to handle. It is a good word, and I hope it helps you to use it. Besides, it is always easier to change a "No" to a "Yes", than the other way around!

Marilyn - That has been my hang up in years past. I couldn't get a word that was useful and not too limiting. "Free" is a great word with many applications! May you find many ways to apply it to your year!

Turena - Love is that way. You can't give it without getting some back! Be good to you too!
    Just remember that even though you love them, you don't have to like them or their actions all the time. (I wonder how many times my kids have heard me say that?!?!?)
    Last edited by toggpine; January 7th, 2014 at 03:53 AM.

6. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This really made me think a little..I think my word is "believe". I can use it in so many ways. I'd like to believe that all things are possible, in life, love and friendships. I'd like to believe that there is more good to be found than bad, and I do believe that everything happens for a reason.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Difficult question in the middle of the night but sometimes that is when our best thoughts come to us.

I think More would be a good word for me this year, More helpful, patient, thought before I speak, more attention to mine and DH's health, more reading and so on.

I think all of our words for the year could accomplish the same thing, to make ourselves into better people and that can't be a bad thing at all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cil - I like it! It has such hope attached to it.

You are all choosing such great words with great reasons.
    I didn't give my reasons, as I didn't want you all to think you had to give yours, but since you have shared, here is why I have chosen "Less".
    My "Less" is about fewer things taking up space, not stressing over stuff I can't control, better food & not so many chemicals (hopefully less of us in the process!), less wasted time with each other and family. Those kinds of things.
    Hopefully along the way I can give more, so others feel less hungry, forgotten, lonely, or sad. Perhaps in the end, my "Less" can be someone else's "Enough".

May - I agree. Night-thinking is often the best, right after shower-thinking in my book.
    Striving for better is never a bad thing. Even if we don't hit it at 100%, we made progress and that is better than where we started!
    Last edited by toggpine; January 7th, 2014 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Comments for May

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Compromise.....
    Happiness......
    Tolerance.....

SMILE!!!!!!!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My word for the year would be : Helpful
    I always try to do for others,and the word Helpful will be a good word to use this year for me.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"