Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think is the best "first quilt" pattern?

This is more of a hypothetical question and the idea is not just to name a pattern but to explain why you feel that it is a good place to start. Especially as things calm down from the holidays, I'm sure there will be an influx of beginners (like I was a year ago at this time!) Maybe this thread could help them and it is just an interesting thing to discuss.

As the title says- If a friend or family member said, "I want to make a quilt, what is a good pattern to start with?" what would you tell them?

My answer:

I am partial to Log Cabin. I like the simplicity of it. It uses basic straight grain strips so you don't get into the complexities of cutting and sewing on the bias. It does not require half a dozen specialty rulers. It can be made from yardage or precut jelly rolls or honey buns. Once you master the basic shape there are about 10,000 variations based on color selection, strip width, and block arrangement so you can make an infinite number of different looking quilts with the same basic skills. It is a very common block so a beginner can find countless examples to get an idea of what a finished quilt will look like. This is one of the easiest to quilt on a home machine because the possibilities for SITD quilting. This block can be made big or small and the finished quilt can be as small as 3 by 3 large blocks or as big as you care to make it with tiny little blocks.

How about you? Make a case for the ideal beginner quilt block...
    Loosely based on a true story.

2. Thanks momma_b, Katco thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do you think is the best "first quilt" pattern?

I was actually intimidated by the log cabin block until I built up my skills. I only just did one this year. I think a D9P is a great place to start or a double slice quilt because matching up seams is forgiving.
    Sondra J.

4. Thanks Katco thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like just simple squares. Love the way they look and easy to sew. Can use charms or layer cakes also.

A lot depends on whether or not this first quilt is the first time sewing or just the first time making a quilt. For people that have been sewing garments for a long time, switching to quilt making is no big deal, it's actually pretty easy sewing compared to garment making.
    Last edited by Cat n bull; January 5th, 2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: forgot
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ryan on the Log Cabin Block - it was my first quilt I made with my great grandmother and is still my favorite all time quilt. Though the D9P probably would be easier because of matching of seams.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, My first block was the feathered star. An 18 inch block, which took me forever to do.
    When I took it to my lqs, she asked me how long I had been quilting, and I said this is my first block. She told me it was a difficult block to do and I did a wonderful job. I havent looked back. For someones first block I would say to stay simple, nine patch, to get the feel of it.

Jo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

yellow brick road.... very easy but yet looks great when done.
    Kellie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

The first quilt top I made was the double slice layer cake. Easy, except for my mistake slice - first time using a rotary cutter, to cut up and re-sew into blocks. Looks like more work than what went into it. Squaring up the blocks as you make them if you are a beginner to sewing so that they line up nicely for seaming. I still need to sandwich it and quilt it, I was intimidated by how big it got!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Could you post photos of "yellow brick road" and "double slice layer cake"? Thanks!

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think that one of the easiest patterns is the Rail Fence or Fence Rail (same thing). It is 3 strips of fabric sewn together and cut into squares, then laid out in a couple different ways. It trains one to sew straight, cut straight and square up. All very important things to learn in quilting.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

12. Thanks Katco thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think a simple 9 patch would be the easiest.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud