Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which threads for longarm machine?

I am so lucky to have just purchased a longarm! So my question is thread choice. In my domestic Pfaff I run Aurfil 50 on top, and bobbins are clear glide poly's that are disposable and I order them in bulk. Man is it nice to just have a big ole box of prefilled bobbins at all times!
    But I'm not sure what to get for the longarm. Brand? Cotton or poly? Same or different for top and bobbin? So all you longarmers . . . help!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which threads for longarm machine?

My friend has a Gammil APQS and is a rep... she uses,, hands down Superior Thread "So Fine"... lots of colors, but mostly greys,taupe,very natural colors and cream of course.. she stays away from variegated, just her taste. I buy the same thread thru her and use it for all my sewing.. it's truly a wonderful thread... hope this helps..
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use it for top and bobbin? Is it cotton or poly or blend? The dealer I bought the longarm machine from I believe suggests Signature? Thanks GrammaBabs for always being helpful!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just used so fine for a bobbin thread and a Superior King Tut 40/3 for the top thread for my Iron Quilt. It worked great. Using the so fine for the bobbin changes the amount of bobbin thread you will use, you can get so much more on your bobbins. I think whether you use it top and bottom depends on if you want the quilting to be part of the quilt design or want it to fade into the background and not distract from the quilt piecing. For my I quilt, the piecing was the focus, not the quilting. I used an ombre cream to medium taupe, and it really blends in to the many colors on this quilt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	64476

My machine (Pfaff 18/8/Tin Lizzie clone) doesn't like silky poly thread, it does much better with cotton thread. It throws little clots of upper thread to the back when I use the poly. I don't know how to stop that from happening, it looks fine from the top and is very intermittent. Very frustrating!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; January 2nd, 2014 at 02:38 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I believe "poly".. I heard the cotton being the best is a myth...... there is a video on the superior website that is very helpful distinguishing threads!
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Do you use it for top and bobbin? Is it cotton or poly or blend? The dealer I bought the longarm machine from I believe suggests Signature? Thanks GrammaBabs for always being helpful!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jean... so true... all our machines need to be babied to find the perfect stitch quality.. I've been putting off using my Bailey for a long time because of the "speed control issue",,, I've taken it OFF and now need to give it a whirl on my own which I think i'll be better at.. if only I could get off this puter and lock myself in there to get organized in the "after Holiday turmoil".

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jean this is wonderful... I especially like the way the black sets the colors off... the shading is fabulous!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as Jean, and that is what my long arm dealer recommended to me.
    So Fine Superior in the bobbin and King Tut on top
    Happy Quilting!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info Jean! Hey! I voted for that quilt!!!!!!!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

For my Gammill, I run Signature Cotton both top and bobbin about 90% of the time.

If I want the thread to be less noticeable, I use Glide or So Fine! in the top, and still the cotton in the bottom. I find that the cotton & poly work well together like that and my starts and stops seem more secure.

Have fun playing with your new toy!!