Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which threads for longarm machine?

The lady who does the LA quilting on my larger quilts uses nothing but King Tut by Superior (cotton). It's my favorite as well for doing FMQ on my domestic. The owner of my LQS commented that when she used Signature thread on her LA, it was very linty. I've used Signature a couple times. I don't like it as well as King Tut, but it costs less for a large cone. The colors of King Tut threads blend so well into the fabrics. Enjoy your new machine. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use any thread in my longarm machine....cause I don't have one....sob!!!!
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Thanks for info Jean! Hey! I voted for that quilt!!!!!!!
    Thanks, Lulu! I was happy to be somewhere in the middle of the pack of the final 28! It was a really fun quilt to make.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

We like Robison-Anton for their cotton thread, Glide or Coats Sylko for poly threads. We've tried both Superior and Signature on both of our machines (Nolting FunQuilter and 24 Pro)...and even with all the tweaking with tension, we just can't get those 2 threads to work....which is a bummer because they have all kinds of neat colors. But, we can still get great selections from the others that will work for us. Sometimes it just depends on what runs best on your machine, and it's trial and error.

Christine
    Cedar Valley Quilts

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The LAQer I take my larger quilts to uses Superior's King Tut both top & bottom for all her quilting. JCY

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have a gammill and use omni thread and permacore, have found that my machine is less fussy with tension with these ones, you will find the one your machine likes best, dont be afraid to try different ones.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    I just used so fine for a bobbin thread and a Superior King Tut 40/3 for the top thread for my Iron Quilt. It worked great. Using the so fine for the bobbin changes the amount of bobbin thread you will use, you can get so much more on your bobbins. I think whether you use it top and bottom depends on if you want the quilting to be part of the quilt design or want it to fade into the background and not distract from the quilt piecing. For my I quilt, the piecing was the focus, not the quilting. I used an ombre cream to medium taupe, and it really blends in to the many colors on this quilt.

Attachment 64476

My machine (Pfaff 18/8/Tin Lizzie clone) doesn't like silky poly thread, it does much better with cotton thread. It throws little clots of upper thread to the back when I use the poly. I don't know how to stop that from happening, it looks fine from the top and is very intermittent. Very frustrating!
    I love this quilt Jean!
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Youtube has many videos by a representative of Superior Threads regarding about every thread there is. For some reason I can't get the address to work from my iPad. Go to YouTube and type: superior thread polyester vs cotton pt 1 in the search line. This video has lots of info regarding cotton and polyester. Dr. Bob from Superior Threads has lots of great "Thread Therapy" videos on Youtube. The information applies to all brands of thread.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link kto the video on polyester vs. cotton thread: "Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob" Cotton & Polyester pt. 1 - YouTube