Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Janome-Decisions, Decisions

I've been researching the past two days for a machine for quilting. I have a Viking Ruby that I use for sewing but I'm really not impressed with it. I also have a Brother CS6000i which I use for smaller, quick sewing items. I'm now looking for something in the mid range for piecing quilt tops and quilting up to throw size quilts. I found the Janome 2013 and Janome 2012 on several sites and I like what I see. I believe they are the same machine just different colors. I did the comparison on the Janome website and found they were exactly alike.

Do any of you have either one of these machines? I do not have a Janome dealer anywhere near me but there is a servicing/repair shop that is about 120 miles from me if I need to use them. I have looked (all online) at Babylock, Bernina, Pfaff, Juki, Janome and the Janome is the one that seems to have what I need in my price range.

Any opinions, suggestions on the Janome? Thank you all!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Janome-Decisions, Decisions

I don't have that model, but I do havea janome and really like it. Janome
    s are easy to learn and they had what I was looking for in a sewing machine. Good luck on your search.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The throat of that machine does not look very large to me. I think if you were going to fmq anything larger than a lap quilt you'd have a tough time of it. I don't know what you are looking to spend, but the Juki 2010i is a nice machine for less than $1000. I know a few people who have it, and it will probably be the next one I buy. It does not have all the fancy stitches, just, straight, needle up/down, thread cutter, but that is all you really need if you have another machine w/the fancy stuff!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am also looking to buy a Janome that is listed on QVC I am hoping that it is a good machine and is big enough for a queen or a king size quilt.
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have either the 2012 or the2013, but I do have the 2007.... and looking at the 2013.

My 2007 has never needed a repair, and is a solid, reliable machine. After all, she IS Janome... I wouldn't be afraid to buy any model.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have the janome dc 2013 , it is a nice machine for piecing and fmq small projects, the biggest I have done is 60 x60 and have discovered I really need a sew steady table.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I swear by Janome machines. I have a MC4000 that I used for more than 20 years. A couple years ago I bought a Janome MC9500 which sews and embroiders. It's been a workhorse for me so far. I've had no negative issues with either machine. My 4000 was never in the shop for a repair or anything else. So far so good on my 9500.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been sewing on my Janome 2030 Dc for two days and o my! I love it!! It is my second Janome and I bought it at a dealer. I paid $400.00 plus tax and got the travel table for $50.00 and he threw in a "stitch in the ditch" foot and a few other notions. It sews so quietly and has a good harp size. I guess the best feature is its weight; only 12 pounds!!! It doesn't come with a hard case like the 2013 you're looking at and it doesn't have the 50 stitches either. But it does have plenty of them and it has an "auto sew" feature so in if I break a leg I can still sew without the foot pedal. When you do a buttonhole on this thing, you set it up and hit the auto sew and step away from the machine - like magic it makes the buttonhole and stops when it is done! But hey - its a Janome. Any Janome is wonderful so buy whichever best fills your needs. Do look over the Amazon reviews tho - you'll learn so much.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your replies. I found a store within 50 miles from me that sells Pfaff, Viking, Juki and Singer so I went just to have a look. When I walked in there was a Janome 2012 sitting on a table! I walked straight to it, pulled up a chair, started to play around with it and a lady said, "ahem...that's my machine." How embarrassed I was. Then she told me that in the past year she has brought it in to be fixed 4 times! Bobbin issues, feed dog locking up, bobbin winder broke, and clunking sounds. She is a long time Janome owner but she is fed up with this machine. Anyway, I played around with a Pfaff 2.0 and liked it but not the cheesy pull out stitch map. It seed beautifully but I guess I'm spoiled by the computerized machines. Then I worked with the Juki and OMGosh! I was sewing through 5 layers of thick faux leather, 6 layers of heavyweight denim, then satin, voile, lawn cloth, corduroy, quilt sandwich...and I NEVER changed the needle or the tension. It was quieter than any machine I've ever owned. I did some FMQ and just about fell off the chair! I have struggled with my Ruby getting tension right for FMQ for the past 3 years and finally gave up. I have a Brother CS6000i that does FMQ better than the Viking Ruby. The back of the quilt square was perfect. Still using the same needle. I was so impressed. Plus, 2 years free service in the store so no shipping or traveling 120 miles one way for service. I bet you can guess what happened next My new Juki Exceed is sitting right here beside me! Oh, it also has a knee lifter for the foot so I can keep my hands on the fabric, thread cutter and THE MOST AMAZING needle threader I have ever seen. I have NEVER been able to use a needle threader on any machine I've ever owned. I was so skeptical until I tried it and it threaded the first time! And the second, third, fourth....etc! That alone had me hooked. lolol But, I guess I'll know if it was the right decision over time. I'm pretty critical of any electronics I try and hard to impress, but from the moment my foot hit the pedal I was very intrigued with the performance. And.....it was on sale so I got a great deal. Through all my research I never thought I would end up with a Juki. It makes a HUGE difference when you can actually test the machine out. Today, I think I made the best decision for me. Next week...well, we'll see. lol
    Last edited by g8dhorse7; December 30th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your new machine!! Sounds like you chose a great one!
    Lori