Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head-banging!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Head-banging!

OMG! I'm ready to start banging my head off a wall! Having sewn for over five decades, I pretty much thought I'd seen/done it all. Hah! I have five granddaughters involved in Girl Scouts, and I've become the unofficial patch/badge sewer-oner. Changing numerous colors of threads to match patch/badge is basically my only complaint. Soooo, I decided to purchase invisible thread, and then use bobbin thread the color of the vest. I have NEVER worked with anything so uncooperative, unruly and invisible in my entire life!! Is there some kind of guarded secret to working with this torturous invention? And it isn't cheap!!! Help!
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Head-banging!

I always sewed mine on by hand....my daughter did her sons w/steam a seam!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The proper needle. Are you having problems with it breaking or tangling or what? If it tangles, before threading the machine, take a regular sewing needle threaded with it, run it through a styrofoam peanut and then thread your machine the regular way - the peanut should be between the spool and the first hook before your tension plates. Try that and see if it helps. It will help eliminate the twists and remove static electricity.

Good luck!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend first fusing the bags to the vest. Then use a neutral gray to fix each badge with a blanket stitch. The combo should make a firm bond with minimal thread showing.

Let us know what you decide to do.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    I'd recommend first fusing the bags to the vest. Then use a neutral gray to fix each badge with a blanket stitch. The combo should make a firm bond with minimal thread showing.

Let us know what you decide to do.
    Ironing the badges on is only a temporary fix. Haven't seen one stay on yet, after it's been washed and dried, thus the sewing. Being a two-troop scout leader, some 35 years ago, it was the same story then. Of course, the "ironable" backing also makes for more difficult sewing, but...
    Linda

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    The proper needle. Are you having problems with it breaking or tangling or what? If it tangles, before threading the machine, take a regular sewing needle threaded with it, run it through a styrofoam peanut and then thread your machine the regular way - the peanut should be between the spool and the first hook before your tension plates. Try that and see if it helps. It will help eliminate the twists and remove static electricity.

Good luck!!
    It wraps around the spool pin (horizontal), behind the spool and then restricts advancement. Tried reversing the spool w/no success. What needle should I be using? Styrofoam peanut? Where are they when you need them?? Breaking and tangling! When I find a peanut, I can try it right off the spool. What about the other end of the spool pin? Peanut there too? This is just maddening!! Can you tell I've never used this horrid stuff before?! Grrrrrrr! Sure appreciate all the help here. Sounds like I may not be the only one "on the edge here."
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For invisible thread, use the poly coated threads. They're much better than the regular nylon threads. Sulky Premium invisible thread is one that I use. Use a needle with a large eye, like an embroidery needle or metallic needle. A spool net cover also helps to keep the thread from winding off too fast. Loosen the tension considerably. Sometimes I put the thread in a small coffee cup or mason jar behind my machine. I've also at times skipped a tension guide, usually the one closest to the needle. And sew slower.
    Try a few practice pieces. Once you get the thread running smoothly and the tension right, it's easy.

Personally, I agree with above: Use a neutral thread. Adhere the patch with a very lightweight fusible and then blanket stitch around the patch. The fusible will give you a temporary hold while you stitch. Seems like the easiest way to go.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

GRRRRR...feel your pain. I tried to use the clear Sulky just to load a bobbin. Yes it wrapped itself horizontally around the underneath of the bobbin on the spool pin. I have the nets and will give that a try. It's funny though, I have had no problems with the smoke colored one. Works like a charm. Maybe it's a poorly loaded spool from the factory.
    I do however, keep a roll of blue painters tape by my machine at all times. Before I cut the threads (insert old age, old eyes here), I fold over a piece of the tape individually on the bobbin and needle threads, then cut. I can always find the ends of what I can't see that way.
    I haven't had a problem with the tension though, so I am counting my blessings.
    I use a 90/14 embroidery needle with the larger eye and this helps for smoother stitching.
    Hmmmm....nothing else to do today so I'm off the my woman's cave to try the nets.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The one an only time I used invisible and it worked well, someone told me to only use Mediera... it did work, just wanted to share..I for one do NOTHING that stresses me out in sewing.. if it ain't fun,,, I stop and find another way or something else..LOL
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharyn J View Post
    For invisible thread, use the poly coated threads. They're much better than the regular nylon threads. Sulky Premium invisible thread is one that I use. Use a needle with a large eye, like an embroidery needle or metallic needle. A spool net cover also helps to keep the thread from winding off too fast. Loosen the tension considerably. Sometimes I put the thread in a small coffee cup or mason jar behind my machine. I've also at times skipped a tension guide, usually the one closest to the needle. And sew slower.
    Try a few practice pieces. Once you get the thread running smoothly and the tension right, it's easy.

Personally, I agree with above: Use a neutral thread. Adhere the patch with a very lightweight fusible and then blanket stitch around the patch. The fusible will give you a temporary hold while you stitch. Seems like the easiest way to go.
    Poly COATED invisible thread! Uh, I'm lost! If it's coated, doesn't that negate the invisibility? I bought Sulky and honestly NEVER expected the challenges that have ensued! Still haven't found peanuts, so I'm currently at a standstill, but my appreciation abounds with the ever-present help and concern of this forum!!
    Linda