Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Discouraged today...

So I made lap blankets for my family for Christmas, everyone loved them and we're talking about how nice they were and how each one fit the person. Well my father looked at his didn't un-roll it and just said thanks and put it to the side. He didn't say anything but I could tell he doesn't appreciate that I quilt and I'm not just like him. He was always working when I was a kid and he's always been a good dad and there when we need him. But I just can feel and tell that he just can't stand that we are so different at times. I know I should be used to it by now. But... Sometimes I just want to just give up on who I am, just to be who he wants me to be. I wan't to just feel like he is proud of me and happy with who I am. Just letting it out needed to vent.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Discouraged today...

Sending you a hug, kiddo. I'm 56 and still have issues with my dad. Be yourself and be proud of it. You are perfect just the way you are right now, remember that.
    Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
    Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Be lucky that you still have your dad with you. Mine passed away 29 years ago and I miss him terribly.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Be yourself. Maybe he just needs a hug. Wouldn't it be a boring world if we were all just alike?
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are who you are. Be proud of that. Give him a hug.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You know what you should do? Turn the table. Tell one of the other family members to tell him that they would really like that quilt, totally in love with it. Then you will know.

Poopy people are hard to deal with family or not. Be happy

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sad when our expectations aren't met by the ones we love, especially when given a gift made from the heart. You just concentrate on the people who loved their quilts. Some peopLe don't appreciate what work goes in a quilt, and there is no changing their viewpoint. Be who you are, and don't let someone's attitude rain on your parade!

8. Thanks dr1987 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey David,

I'm sorry to hear your Dad can't handle that you're a quilter. A couple of suggestions: be upfront with him and say, "Dad, I can tell my quilting bothers you. So from now on, when I make quilts for the rest of the family, I'll be giving you a different gift. Just promise me you won't feel left out. "

After all, gifts are supposed to be tailored to the receiver. I know that when we quilt, we're pouring love into every stitch, but non-quilters simply don't understand that AT ALL. Your Dad certainly doesn't. Then get him a gift that suits him. Mourn with us that your Dad won't like your quilting for him--we understand. But it will make you happier if you see your Dad's face light up because you gifted him just the right thing.

Wishing you all the best.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

10. Thanks dr1987 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some folks see quilting as only for women. Some don't understand doing quilting (or any other crafts) at all. Anything we do is not going to be appreciated by everyone and sometimes that hurts. But don't let that discourage you from quilting. I think Toni made an excellent suggestion for a conversation with your dad. You don't know exactly where he's coming from and maybe some dialogue will help you both to understand each other better. Good luck!
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking from experience, we cannot please everyone and that's OKAY. With my family, it's all about the males. The ONLY commen ground Dad and I have IS quilting. Your dad may not have thought the quilt you made for him is a big deal, but he will use it. He may cover up with it in his recliner, if he has one, while napping or watching T.V. Two things I would not do is 1) test him or 2) change for him. It will be okay.

Be blessed.
    MISA
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

13. Thanks dr1987 thanked for this post