Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another basting problem - mostly a rant but feel free to advise

So I am no expert at all but I have found that this works for me well with basting spray:

1. For small quilts I have a 3 foot by 6 foot folding table in my quilting room. I don't make a traditional sandwich. I first spray baste the backing to the batting making sure it is smooth, I let it sit for a few minutes then turn it around and spray baste the front to it. I make sure it is all smooth check me edges to make sure they are basted well. I have had no trouble with this method at all.

2. For lage quilts I baste on the wall. I have full wall of cork-board and I pin my batting to the wall and spray baste the backing to the batting and pin the top to give it some extra support. I let that sit for a few minutes then turn it ofer and spray baste my top. gravity helps alot. You can also use ceiling tiles to attach to the wall also just a strip of cork along the top of the wall.

These methods came from a friend of mine. I did find a similar method on youtube so check it out.

2. Thanks Breezed thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue with my last quilt and as I was taking out some of the stitches my granddaughter (smart child) asked why I told her there were puckers. She said "OHh so you are sending kisses in your quilts too." I decided to leave the little puckers.

Jackie Gross

4. Thanks Breezed thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bellasnanny247 View Post
    Leah Day has a nice system-if you visit Craftsy and sign up for her Free Motion Quilting class-it's in lesson 2. I did see the following video on youtube which uses a similar technique. Another helpful idea I got from watching other youtube clips-starch the backing fabric before laying it out.

How to Sandwich a Large Quilt on a Small Table - YouTube

I have seen Leah's methods, while most are helfpul. I just find this too tedious of a setup, not to mention I'd have to go out and purchase everything that is needed.
    Donelle

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntiemern View Post
    I am probably the odd ball in all of this. I lay my batting out, get it smooth, then lay the back on top of that. To me it is easier to adjust the back or the top after it is turned over than the batting. This works best for me...might want to try it that way instead.
    hmm, interesting method...I may also give this a try. I have 4 tops to baste and quilt, so I may try a different suggested method for each and see what works best. This sounds the most promising.
    Donelle

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr1987 View Post
    So I am no expert at all but I have found that this works for me well with basting spray:

1. For small quilts I have a 3 foot by 6 foot folding table in my quilting room. I don't make a traditional sandwich. I first spray baste the backing to the batting making sure it is smooth, I let it sit for a few minutes then turn it around and spray baste the front to it. I make sure it is all smooth check me edges to make sure they are basted well. I have had no trouble with this method at all.

2. For lage quilts I baste on the wall. I have full wall of cork-board and I pin my batting to the wall and spray baste the backing to the batting and pin the top to give it some extra support. I let that sit for a few minutes then turn it ofer and spray baste my top. gravity helps alot. You can also use ceiling tiles to attach to the wall also just a strip of cork along the top of the wall.

These methods came from a friend of mine. I did find a similar method on youtube so check it out.
    I've seen this on youtube as well. While it's very cool and I would love to try it, I just don't have the space in my sewing room. Unfortunately, my sewing room has a door on three walls, and a huge window on the other. I have so little empty wall space except where the bed is. I tried to convince DH to let me get rid of the bed or put it in HIS office, but he won't let me
    Donelle

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jackiegross View Post
    I had the same issue with my last quilt and as I was taking out some of the stitches my granddaughter (smart child) asked why I told her there were puckers. She said "OHh so you are sending kisses in your quilts too." I decided to leave the little puckers.

Jackie Gross
    Aww that is too cute!
    Donelle

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    Donelle...I watched a quilting video and after the teacher sprayed and layered the sandwich she pressed the backing and made it really smooth. Remember, pressing is up and down...not back and forth ironing. Why don't you try it on a practice piece and see how it works for you.
    I didn't think to press it after basting. That probably would have been easier than what I ended up doing to get it smooth. I actually finished the quilt in the photo last night. I will post in show/tell later today - it is currently in the wash.
    Donelle

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I want to say thanks AGAIN for all of the advice and encouragement. I finished the quilt, will post later in the show/tell thread. The quilt came out great, even with all of my basting frustrations. I have jotted down a few of the most promising methods for my setup and will give those a try soon. You guys/gals are wonderful.
    Donelle