Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any ideas on what to use empty Prescription bottles for?

I don't get many as most of my drugs come in boxes. But if they're little here's my terrific idea.

Rinse thoroughly and let dry. Add a teaspoon of uncooked rice and replace lid, do it up tight. For extra safety you can add a little glue to the bottle thread and inside the edges if the cap before doing it up. . Place in the middle of a stuffed toy for a little one, surround well with stuffing and sew seams securely.

Littlies LOVE rattle toys!!!!!

Cheers,Pami

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by New York Sue View Post
    How about what to do with 'not-so-empty' prescription bottles?
    When my DH had his knee replacements, he was prescribed an ENORMOUS amount of hydrocodone. He didn't use half of it! I was at my wit's end trying to get rid of this stuff. Dumping down anyone's toilet isn't a good option. If you have septic, it can leach out into your well, or your town's filtration plant, if your hooked up to city water/septic.
    Mix in coffee grounds? That would look yummy to bird in a landfill.
    EVERY police station across this great land of ours should have a 'drop-box'. Not twice a year. Everyday. And a federal plan on how to get rid of this stuff that's environmentally sound.
    Way to many young people getting addicted to the contents of Granny's medicine cabinet....
    YES!! Had this talk with my Pain Mgmt doc yesterday - can NOT dump down toilets and pollute potential water sources, don't add to coffee grounds (((Sue yes bird may like it)))

Put in your kitty litter scooping! This was her answer only because I've got cats - But that stinky litter at least won't attract birds and dear god sealed old kitty droppings will keep almost ALL away from opening it hehehe

Love these suggestions! Reading and knowing we all can use them -- How about in the Man cave for Screws, Nails?

Thanks

Debbie
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by New York Sue View Post
    How about what to do with 'not-so-empty' prescription bottles?
    When my DH had his knee replacements, he was prescribed an ENORMOUS amount of hydrocodone. He didn't use half of it! I was at my wit's end trying to get rid of this stuff. Dumping down anyone's toilet isn't a good option. If you have septic, it can leach out into your well, or your town's filtration plant, if your hooked up to city water/septic.
    Mix in coffee grounds? That would look yummy to bird in a landfill.
    EVERY police station across this great land of ours should have a 'drop-box'. Not twice a year. Everyday. And a federal plan on how to get rid of this stuff that's environmentally sound.
    Way to many young people getting addicted to the contents of Granny's medicine cabinet....
    My husband works at CVS Pharmacy as a tech, he said that what they tell people is if you are finished with pills or any medications that are outdated... Take used coffee grounds, and mix the pills in with the coffee grounds. But never flush, or rinse pills down the sink.... You can also use a coffee grinder and grind the pills down, and then add them to used coffee grounds as well.

Hope that helps?
    My name is CJ
    My Creations: Photo Albums

My Wishful Wants List (ha ha)

Boobs and pins do NOT mix! Trust me, I know from experience.

Love: Sewing and reading.
    Sewing Machine: Janome New Home Model 108
    Pinterest: My Boards
    Pets:Have 1 dog, named Jake which is a Yellow Lab.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

[Q]My husband works at CVS Pharmacy as a tech, he said that what they tell people is if you are finished with pills or any medications that are outdated... Take used coffee grounds, and mix the pills in with the coffee grounds. But never flush, or rinse pills down the sink.... You can also use a coffee grinder and grind the pills down, and then add them to used coffee grounds as well.[/Q]

Shorte85... then what do we do with the coffee grounds?? I think throwing them in the trash would pollute and leak into the surrounding soil.. or reuse the grounds?? NOT ME!! I'm liking the CAT LITTER thing the more I think about it. But it still gets thrown into the trash and hauled to a land fill site. ??

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this on tv once. Someone said she puts her filled bobbins in her empty RX bottles. She said she can easily see each bobbin when choosing the thread colour.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely do the bobbins in RX bottles idea. I wish the area pharmacy would take ours. Will ask again. My husband and I each get about 4 prescriptions every month and the bottles really pile up. They used to refill your bottles when you took them in but do not do that anymore. Some come prefilled from the drug companies...like Nexium...those brandname drugs that are so pricey. LOL

Brenda Kay

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Put little quilting "prescription" ideas in and give as a gift! example, be sure to use a sharp rotary cutter when cutting fabric. Or, remember to clean you machine after xx hours.
    Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
    Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I store bobbins in them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For empty bottles, I poke a hole in the lid and put my used and broken needles in it. The hole is small and the needles don't come out after poking them in. Keeps someone from getting inadvertently stuck.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

When I took a quilting class, the lady said to take an empty pill bottle and poke a tiny hole in the lid and put your thread in it and pull the thread through the hole to keep it from getting tangled when hand binding your quilts and taking them with you