Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Night Owl Grandparent *hoots*

My little grandson was blessed to have four living great-grammas when he was born. Their names were Grammy, Great Gramma, GG and Nana (my mother). His paternal grandmother was already Gramma, so I couldn't take that. So I looked at my own first name, Toni, with my mom being called Nana and came up with Nonni.

My DGS also had a number of living grandfathers or step-grandfathers, so pretty much all variations on Grampa and Papa were taken. My husband said, "Hey, I'm from California. How about Grand-Dude?" Well everyone laughed and no one came up with anything better, so we are Nonni and Grand-Dude. And there's nothing we like better.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Funny. We are in the middle of working that out with the grandson. He came in to the kitchen calling me Mom last time he was here.

My mom & step-dad are Nana & Grandpa. (Mom's parents have passed.)
    My inlaws are Gramma Phyllis & Grandpa Max.
    Grammy is my father's mother.
    Granny is my grandfather's wife, is a year older than my mom, & had been married to him for 42 years before he passed.
    MeeMaw was my great-grandmother and she could be crotchety.

I'm not sure what that leaves me to choose from. I guess we'll just let him pick.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just Gramma for me, but my DD's MIL is Gramma Pake...
    Their last name is Paddock...they started out calling her Gramma Paddycake and just shortened it to Pake.

When she was tiny, Morgan (the youngest) called me Gramma Kathy Thomas....
    ~Kathy~

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter didn't want there to be confusion so she insisted that we come up with something other than Meme or Nana since those were already established. We decided on Grams, simple and he's already favoring things I send even though we have yet to meet in person since we all live so far apart. Really loving that he likes my toys better than my ex's. Is that wrong?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

We have been blessed with 4 beautiful grandchildren and I am proudly called gramma kim and love hearing it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DGS is not quit 15 months, so he only knows what he hears. My kids have always refer to me as Grammy when they talk to their dogs. My DIL called me the other day to say that she was trying to entertain him when he wasn't feeling good by looking at pictures on the fridge and he pointed to one of me holding him and said "Grammy".

My cousins GD's always called her Grandma T-pot. Her last name starts with T and they couldn't remember it when they were little, so she became Grandma T-pot.

My sister and I always referred to our grandmothers as "Big Grandma and Little Grandma". I hate to think now how that made "Big Grandma" feel.
    Last edited by dwil23; December 16th, 2013 at 06:06 AM.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post

My sister and I always referred to our grandmothers as "Big Grandma and Little Grandma". I hate to think now how that made "Big Grandma" feel.
    Some friends of ours have twins and they call their grandmas White Grandma and Black Grandma....for the life of me I did not know why because they are both white females. Leave it to a child to go by hair color!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    This made me remember that my oldest son would refer to my grandfather as Little Grandpa as he was short and thin compared to my father(his son).

I never had to make much choice what to call my grandparents, 1 grandmother passed just before my parents married and the other one passed when I was less than 2. My mother's father passed when I was about 7. Boy did he scared me, I think mainly because he didn't speak English and I never understood what he said.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Never finished my thought.

That left just my father's father who was just Grandpa to me and my brothers and sisters and also all our friends. He was a big influence in my life and always encouraged me to follow my dream of working The City, Manhattan, in an office instead of working in the garment trade sewing clothes in a Brooklyn factory as my parents wanted. Thank You Grandpa for helping me go on the road less traveled by most of my friends.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; December 16th, 2013 at 07:01 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

oh I forgot oldest grandson had a hard time saying Laird (my husbands name) and if you're from Texas it sounds like MrsBairds bread LOL so it was Pappa Yarry for a while, now Pappa Larry and Grandma Weeds *geeze* I love it, but strangers give us some looks and I don't care :-)

Thanks all, Nana, Oma, G-ma Cool
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.