Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are your go to stores?

Just wondering, what are the stores you frequent for quilt supplies? Do you stick to a chain, go to an LQS or are you solely an online shopper?

The majority of fabric I purchase is at JoAnns. Notions are JoAnns, but templates are online. I do like online shopping for precuts, and use my LQS for classes and machine issues. I haven't ventured into ebay for fabric yet.
    Amy

Jeremiah 29:11

http://pinterest.com/acct97531/quilts-to-make/

Daughter of Tobeysmama

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are your go to stores?

M*: Daily Deal, coordinating fabrics and templates

LQS: They put different precuts in the 40% bin every week and offer a weekly 25% off coupon for one item so I do pre-cuts, yardage, stencils and metter thread there.

Sewing repair shop 1/2 hour away: Robison Anton embroidery thread and odd notions

Joann's: Kona solids by the bolt, Kona backing, some other quilting fabric if it passes the quality test, clothing fabric as wanted and notions. All with a coupon or on sale. That is one store that full price is never necessary.

Tiny little LQS 6 minutes from home: Only when necessary to pick up something quick that I desperately need. Very expensive and they stopped carrying panels that I love and they have very little to offer. Frankly I don't know how they stay in business.

Thousandsofbolts.com: My favorite for yardage and I got a solid Moda color chart from there to choose my coordinating fabrics and order straight from there. They always ship there orders within just a couple days and the prices are amazing.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

JoAnn for the notions, some cottons (again, only with the quality test), and their flannel (watch that too).
    We have a craft store that has a LQS type section in the back. Good prices on the quality cottons.
    Our old LQS was bought out and re-opened with new owners. They are working on restocking the place and have made it much more inviting to shop there.
    Online: Of course M*, I have used Fabric.com and more recently Connecting Threads. I really like their thread and my machine does too. I ordered a few pieces of fabric to see what the quality was like since they make their own, and the ones I have received are on par with the LQS.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do some on line here at M*, my local quilt store, and when I'm upstate there's a quilt shop I frequent it was called Patti's fabrics but the new owner renamed it The Ruby Scissors in Glens Falls.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lisa I had forgotten about Thousands of Bolts and their prices are Incredible!!! Local Joann's or Hancocks, though I find Hancock FQ's are a bit thin. A mostly home dec store has amazing mottled quilting cottons for < $3/yard --If I need a color or 5, I love that store! Home Fabrics I think it's called and they have it online and slowly putting stock in. Their home dec is the cheapest prices around for purses pillows or upholstery fabrics.

Online it's M*, Keepsake quilting and ThousandsofBolts... have had some success with Fabrics.com but 1 or 2 failures and Girl Charlie (knits mostly) has the worst service my first and LAST order they offered me $20 to come back and I won't even do that

Got to keep us spending public happy or we won't shop!
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My go to store is Country Stitches....about 10 minutes from me. It's a small quilt shop but packed with goodies.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I check MSQ every day, but don't buy a whole lot, as I'm not much of a precut girl. My LQS when they have a sale, especially the $1 fat qtrs. Aside from that, my go to's are Fabric.com, Equilter, Crafters Vision. Lot's of others from time to time, but these 3 on line sources have the best sales for the fabrics I like.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I shop EVERYWHERE ...

JoAnns for batting, rotary cutters, needles... only with coupon. ... I bought some Christmas fabric there (for crafts) not for quilting. IMHO the quality of their fabric continues to decline, which is bad because they are the nearest store.

Hobby Lobby once in a while because their fabric is always 25% off the marked price.

M* but less often as I'm not using as many precuts... but I love love love M*

Online... Connecting Threads and Thousands of Bolts... good prices. Shabby Fabrics... great variety and often sale prices. Have bought from Ebay and Fabric.com and Keepsake Quilting. As I said ... tooooo much shopping ... lol
    ~ Judy

When God adds a period, I'm trying very hard not to add a question mark!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I shopped at Joann's for the first time on Black Friday. Bought some thread, an iron, two Ott lights, some flannel and some burlap. For the most part, I didn't like the "touch" of their cottons. Felt cheap.

My local LQS has a very limited selection of cotton prints that appeal to me, but I buy thread and notions there and an occasional fat quarter.

There is a to-die-for LQS (The Quilted Fox) in St. Louis that I go to anytime I can. Their quality is top-notch and their selection is impressive.

I occasionally order from M* but their shipping is slow compared to others. I watch the daily deal, though, and use it as an excuse to order more whenever the DD appeals to me.

I order most my fabric from Fat Quarter Shop. Selection is great, quality is great, and shipping is super fast. Plus their attention to customer service is the best I've seen.

I shop the sales at Fabric.com. Their shipping is fast but they are sloppy cutters and packers so I only buy from them when the price can't be resisted.

I know lots of folks like Thousands of Bolts, but I DETEST their website. Simply won't shop there because the web site is so unappealing.

My new favorite source is Hawthorne Threads. Their selection is the best curated I've seen, as is the quality. I shop there whenever I can afford it.

Finally, I'll give a shout-out to Fabricworm. They have some unusual prints that you can't find other places. Very cute and whimsical stuff.
    Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fabric - The Fabric Shack, in Waynesville... They have thousands of bolts of every imaginable kind of fabric, plus tree is a warehouse next door that services their online store... If it isn't in the shop, someone will run next door and get it.... They once brought a whole line of Swirls for me.... And, I can order online, and avoid shipping charges by picking my order up at the shop.

I also buy Mettler threads, as well as King Tut....and when I have the money, Aurifil.

Notions, rulers, mats, etc... - Joann's, because I can use those handy dandy coupons. I also buy my batting there (on sale, or with a coupon), and fleece, if I need it. Sometimes I buy thread there, too.... Usually Gutterman Hand Quilting thread. I also buy my Kona Black and White there...but M* has it at a better price, so I might order some from there.

M* - I watch the DD, and usually add something to it if I like it.... I love precuts, but am a little picky about fabric colors and designs. I get only the DD's I really like or need for a project.... I love M*, and think of it as a favorite LQS. I also ordered three if the four magazines I bought from there. I also buy the occasional template.... I ordered the half hexie...for braids...the Binding Tool, which I also use for braids... I use the method of joining the ends of binding Jenny teaches in the Ultimate Binding Tutorial. I also ordered the tiny tumbler template...mostly because I thought it was so cute. Oh... I got the charm maker template, too, and have used it.

We have a Hobby Lobby in the next town, but it is in a place I never go to anymore, so I forget about it.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit