Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I TOTALLY SCREWED UP

So I am making these two quilts very easy just quilt with two boarders. The first quilt came out just fine and working the second one I don't know what happened the back boarders got pulled much shorter than the front borders so they didn't match up I guess I didn't spray and pin enough or something I just don't know but when I was trimming the front boarders are no longer 5" all around some are 4 1/2, some are 4 and some are 5, YIKES.

So my question do I measure the front boarders to all 4" so they will be even or do I just leave it alone. My thought is to measure them to 4" but they really look so small that way. I know the back will even look smaller but I can't do anything about that now and I don't know why the first quilt came out just fine and the second one didn't.

The other thing is I had this brilliant idea to use gold thread and my machine hated it, kept breaking and balling up with very tiny balls on the back and of course it is white so it shows up. I cross hatched across just one way thinking it would add a little extra to the quilts but what a hassel. I tried changing the tension on both upper and lower and still it did it I even went and purchased special needles that said for metallic thread and still it broke and was not smooth like normal thread. I am going to offer her a discount if she doesn't like them I only charged her $55 a piece for a simple small quilt. Any suggestions??????
    Hawaiigrammi

2. Thanks yeeehawterri thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I TOTALLY SCREWED UP

wow 281 views not one reply
    Hawaiigrammi

Designer Diva

Pipe Creek, Texas A wide spot in the road northwest of San Antonio
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't give you an answer about the thread or WHY the borders are different sizes, but if it were my quilt, I would trim down to 4". That way it will look more even.
    Good luck.
    "One can never consent to creep, when one feels the impulse to soar" -Helen Keller

5. Thanks AlohaSandy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi sandy! This is my first view! I would trim to 4" on it. As far as the thread goes...I have never used it so could not offer advice on it. I am sure they will turn out fine!
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

7. Thanks AlohaSandy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy, just seeing this thread now, but don't know how to help. I guess if it were me, I would trim so that the borders are the same width all around on the front of the quilt. Not sure what you mean by borders on the back?

I haven't used metallic thread, other than for embroidery, so I don't have any ideas on that part.

I know that I am most own worst critic and after stressing about problems and then showing them to someone else, they don't think they look bad. Sometimes, I also just have to step away for a bit and when I come back it is better. Hugs, Lisa
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

9. Thanks AlohaSandy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would trim it down to 4", as well. A combination of ruler along the seam, and eye ballin' it.
    Split the difference.
    Don't be so hard on yourself, chica!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

11. Thanks AlohaSandy thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say. Is this a quilt brought to you by a customer? Then I'd probably rip it all out, re-baste, and begin again. Is it something that you were commissioned to make? Was size of the quilt part of the expectation? If so, then again, I'd probably rip it all out and start over. If not, then I'd trim the borders. If the customer said, can you make me a quilt (however you want to make it)? Then I'd trim the borders to make them even.
    Even for a quilt that you're only charging $55 for, it's your reputation and future word of mouth that you're working for now.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to rip t out and start all over but it has already been cross hatched, so I can't and I can't make it overbecause I don't have any more fabric to do that with. I text her to let her know my mistakes and I sent them out so if she doesn't like them I will be happy to give her money back. Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiobhanF View Post
    It's hard to say. Is this a quilt brought to you by a customer? Then I'd probably rip it all out, re-baste, and begin again. Is it something that you were commissioned to make? Was size of the quilt part of the expectation? If so, then again, I'd probably rip it all out and start over. If not, then I'd trim the borders. If the customer said, can you make me a quilt (however you want to make it)? Then I'd trim the borders to make them even.
    Even for a quilt that you're only charging $55 for, it's your reputation and future word of mouth that you're working for now.
    Hawaiigrammi

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime. Did you take photos of them to share? Would love to see!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Metallic thread, they have sewing machine needles made for sewing that. They have a larger eye to keep down friction which causes thrad breaks. Borders, trim them to make them look even.