Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Thoughts on the IQ Contest

Quote Originally Posted by yeeehawterri View Post
    I was the same. One repeated comment on the obvious non-qualifying entries was simply childish finger pointing.
    I saw this, too.... It really was unkind.... Sounded angry, to me.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Teri, which one was your top? I saw a couple of them. I'm making a comfort shawl myself and thought the tops posted were nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bratbear View Post
    I entered a top only, had fun making it and am pleased with the fact that I have had three people ask if I was going to sell it.
    I am a second year quiltmaker, haven't mastered FMQ and outside of charms sewn together this was my second challenge. I am sorry for those who worked really hard and are disappointed. I am sure that M* will figure out a new way to present the next challenge.

By the way, has anyone ever put a price tag on their work? I could use some guidlines.
    Teri

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyequilter View Post
    I saw the quilt police too...smh! I just went and looked at some of them again and the mean, hateful posts...what is wrong with people??? Some of those non-qualifying quilts are beautiful and they are not going to be counted. No one is, at this point, taking likes away from anyone. When it comes to the actual voting that would be a different story. Chill and let M* work it out.

I think everyone that made something for the IQ should take a bow...qualifying or not! There is a lot of work in those projects.
    Shirley... I completely agree with you.... People just need to calm down, and move on.... What is the sense in making hurtful remarks? Everyone knows the non-qualifying quilts won't be counted.... I was surprised to see them, but as you pointed out, they were beautiful....

We often tell our new quilters that there are no quilt police..... I take that to mean that we should all be respectful of each other, and be encouragers...not discouragers......

I am enjoying all if the quilts.... Lots of work want into them, and I'm so in awe of the real talent we have around here. What a feast for our eyes!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I entered a top only, had fun making it and am pleased with the fact that I have had three people ask if I was going to sell it.
    I am a second year quiltmaker, haven't mastered FMQ and outside of charms sewn together this was my second challenge. I am sorry for those who worked really hard and are disappointed. I am sure that M* will figure out a new way to present the next challenge.

By the way, has anyone ever put a price tag on their work? I could use some guidlines.
    Teri
    I charge 20.00 an hour and they furnish the supplies. Even thread. I just did one for someone and she was shocked, shocked I tell, you when she got the bill. My husband told me to stand my price, it was worth every dime. (I keep a detailed chart of time spent on the project) She paid me and was so quiet, I felt sorry for her. She took it home and blew up my phone with text of how beautiful it is, and how wonderful my work was... Her husband text me that it was awesome. Less than a week later, she sent me an email wanting me to make 2 more projects for her. Once she got it home and got it in her hands, I guess she was pretty happy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    I charge 20.00 an hour and they furnish the supplies. Even thread. I just did one for someone and she was shocked, shocked I tell, you when she got the bill. My husband told me to stand my price, it was worth every dime. (I keep a detailed chart of time spent on the project) She paid me and was so quiet, I felt sorry for her. She took it home and blew up my phone with text of how beautiful it is, and how wonderful my work was... Her husband text me that it was awesome. Less than a week later, she sent me an email wanting me to make 2 more projects for her. Once she got it home and got it in her hands, I guess she was pretty happy.
    Good for you... You....and your husband....know what your work is worth.... Most people don't realize the amount if work that goes into even the smallest quilt....

Standing your ground paid off!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Teri

Way to go Teri!!!! But wait -- If you win or it places high, maybe it would be worth more? Everything from thread to your sewing machine needle you need to price out + fabric +... time, that took tons of time!

Good luck

:-Debbie
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

WTG Teri!!! That's excellent!! Sounds like a bidding war waiting to happen. Just don't make the mistake of undervaluing your work. Lots of people do that. Your time and talent are easily worth whatever the going high wages are in your area. Like Debbie said, don't forget to include the price of all your materials- even account for wear & tear on your machine.
    Wow! your second challenge! I'm impressed! Keep it up, & you may just have a lucrative new full time job.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I entered a quilt and am really happy with how my quilt turned out! It was a Christmas gift for my parents and they cried when I gave it to them last week! It was a pictoral quilt of my childhood home, which was also my mom's childhood home and they still live there today! The house was built in the 1800's by my great, great grandfather when he immigrated from Germany. I am not an avid facebooker nor a google plus person, but that is fine with me. It really didn't cost much to enter - actually we all got a great deal on charm packs since they sold them at the promotional price! I am glad I completed it. It was fun just to say I did it. My kids, DH and family were all impressed and they are the ones who count the most to me! I did a poor job uploading my picture and unfortunately cannot see the detail of it well, but I am fine with that too! I will put a picture of it in my album if anyone wants to peek at it. Chalk it up to living and learning!
    Would love to know which quilts were made my which forum members. There are so many beautiful entries! Best of luck to all! Hope that someone from the forum wins some prizes!
    Last edited by bhaggerty; December 4th, 2013 at 03:41 AM.
    Happy Quilting!

9. Thanks msdaleafo thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marebear View Post
    That's just how I feel. I know my quilt is beautiful - that's all that counts. I learned some new skills and challenged myself. I feel like an Iron Quilter
    I second this....I was excited just to be making a quilt with fabric I absolutely LOVED....I did not enter, expecting to win, because I knew there would be more experienced quilters out there. But to see that I received votes from people I don't even know, makes me feel really good.
    The best part, my DH...shows my quilt to anyone who comes to visit. He is the best fan I could ever asked for. My quilt is a keeper for me....
    I even voted for others and asked friends and family to vote for ALL the ones they like.....We all need to just enjoy seeing the beautiful works of art that were made and be happy for each other. Maybe this will encourage someone else to join us here and in our love for quilting...
    Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

11. Thanks msdaleafo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaggerty View Post
    I entered a quilt and am really happy with how my quilt turned out! It was a Christmas gift for my parents and they cried when I gave it to them last week! It was a pictoral quilt of my childhood home, which was also my mom's childhood home and they still live there today! The house was built in the 1800's by my great, great grandfather when he immigrated from Germany. I am not an avid facebooker nor a google plus person, but that is fine with me. It really didn't cost much to enter - actually we all got a great deal on charm packs since they sold them at the promotional price! I am glad I completed it. It was fun just to say I did it. My kids, DH and family were all impressed and they are the ones who count the most to me! I did a poor job uploading my picture and unfortunately cannot see the detail of it well, but I am fine with that too! I will put a picture of it in my album if anyone wants to peek at it. Chalk it up to living and learning!
    Would love to know which quilts were made my which forum members. There are so many beautiful entries! Best of luck to all! Hope that someone from the forum wins some prizes!
    I am SO happy we all got to see this House with the Quilt photo - What a real treasured memory I loved it! Said I wish I could 1+++ it ;-) but you are already a big winner!!

Debbie
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.