Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Putting together a quilt....safety pins versus basting gun

Please can I get some help and advice.

I have made a few quilts, about ten in total, a couple of double bed size, and a couple of single size, then the rest for friends children's.

Apart from the first one I ever made where I used safety pins, I have used spray basting followed by using a basting gun which I have been fairly happy with apart from my latest quilt.
    During the removal of the plastic ties I managed to snip the fabric. This meant having to unpick and insert a new piece of fabric into the quilt which was a real pain. Also I found one or two of the plastic ties had not gone through all layers of fabric so I had to bury them into the batting and I don't like the thought of bits of plastic being left in the quilt......I realise both of these issues are my fault but it is making me think twice about what I should use in future.

Would love to know what you use to put your quilt together and if it is pins what are the best pins out there....please help

Perhaps I should mention that I then FMQ on my domestic machine
    Last edited by SomerRose; December 8th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Putting together a quilt....safety pins versus basting gun

You really don't need anything more when using basting spray.... It will hold your quilt together without any problems...spray badging works well with all sizes of quilts, too. Pins are a literal pain, and the usefulness if a basting gun is iffy...you don't want any more tears!

I would not risk any more damage to your quilt.... And would stick (pardon the pun), with a good quality basting spray... A couple of brands are odorless...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sandy, basting spray is what I use, however if I know I will be moving the quilt around, taking it here and there for quilting with friends or classes or not quilting it right away I do put a few pins in just for my own sanity.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I started quilting I used a basting gun. It was wonderful. But it was so much of a pain snipping all the plastic ties and then cleaning them up. Not to mention any accidental snip fabric. So I went to basting pins and use that now. I don't like the spray it gets all over everything and my area is so small.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Basting spray would be my product of choice. I had a basting gun once and didn't like it at all.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of allergy issues and don't use aerosols at all - I have always used the curved safety pins and have always had good results. At my first quilting class the instructor said to space them apart about the width of your fist. I figure out how I'm going to quilt my project and try to strategically place them where they won't get in the way much when quilting (I cross hatch or stitch in the ditch a lot).
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use pins. Tried the spray basting spray and its not for me, unless its a small project. I use the curved basting pins, can't think of the brand, they came from Joann's. My daughter came over with some cheap pins she got at the dollar store and they were awful. You'll find a lot of opinions, neither one is right or wrong, just whatever works best for that person.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use basting spray and I use the curved safety pins around the edges to keep them from snagging on something and pulling apart.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I found (but can't find them anywhere now!) some 2 inch curved safety pins while back and they are great! They go in easy, there are no points to stick me with, they don't fall out or pull out, and hold firm and don't poke any other fabric. I can't find them anywhere so I bought some 1,1/2 inch ones (or maybe they are 1 inch) but they too are curved and just the right size for smaller areas and between the two, I pin and it works great. I do use adhesive spray too, but since that is expensive (even with a 50% off coupon) I use it sparingly, usually in the middle of the quilt mostly. I have never heard of the basting gun, but from what you say, I don't think I will look into that!

I use a home machine too..7" neck but still...bit hard to do the larger quilts on. But there again, the safety pins sure do help with that issue too. You can scrunch as much as you want, and no pins will poke you or poke into the fabric and hang up or fall out. You don't have to worry/wonder if they pins will fall out as the quilt is hanging over the table or being pulled this way and that. They are great for this aspect. Pin and forget it until you get there!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the long quilter straight pins. I put them through the material, back out and then through the top again to make it so I don't have to work with a porcupine. I can't use the spray basting and I hate using the safety pins. This works great for me. I also free motion quilt on my Janome. It does have an 11" throat which helps.
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.