Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'M IN A FIGHTING MOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Doloris View Post
    why doesn't someone start an IQ group. Then all those that have entered and anyone who wants to read all about it can go there.
    This is an excellent idea

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    All you say, Catherine, is quite true. All I am saying is that there's a better place to air the complaints than on a public forum. And, since it has come to the top, YOU of all should probably be the least vocal, because out of all the entries I have seen I believe yours to be the MOST creative, complicated design, and most spectacular. I had no doubts about you walking away with the winning quilt prize - hands down . . . but the comments here yesterday and today will probably cause you to lose many well-deserved votes. And that's sad.

My two cents - take it for what it is worth.
    Thank you for the compliments on my quilt.

And I certainly didn't say ANYTHING at all yesterday, so that portion of your comment certainly does not apply to me.

As for today's unhappy postings, this contest has been a LARGE part of these forums since the day it was announced. It is not at all extraordinary to have the discussion of it continue on, especially since it has changed at the last minute. Twice now.

Not everything that happens is wonderful and peachy, and when it happens to take place in a community where so many are affected, it is just natural to discuss how dismayed we feel about the changes AFTER we decided the rules and platform were something we wanted to participate in.

You yourself decided to voice your own very negative feelings, you felt that it was appropriate to do so and took the time to type them out.

It is no different than anyone else decide to voice their own negative feelings directly to the group of people most connected to the situation causing it.
    Cathryn

3. Thanks bellasnanny247 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Since there are no names on the quilts, it can't be a popularity contest.
    By each member "sharing" their own quilt on their facebook page and asking their friends and families to go like it as well as share it with their friends and family and so on, it becomes a "who can get the most likes by sending this to as many people as possible" contest. What if someone only has 14 friends on their facebook and doesn't want to add others? Yes, they may get other votes from the MSQC page, but the person who has 1750 friends and sends it out as a share, will obviously get more votes-thus, it is a popularity contest, and not a true skill contest, based off ability, design and creativity as well as use of the required fabric.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mchelem View Post
    By each member "sharing" their own quilt on their facebook page and asking their friends and families to go like it as well as share it with their friends and family and so on, it becomes a "who can get the most likes by sending this to as many people as possible" contest. What if someone only has 14 friends on their facebook and doesn't want to add others? Yes, they may get other votes from the MSQC page, but the person who has 1750 friends and sends it out as a share, will obviously get more votes-thus, it is a popularity contest, and not a true skill contest, based off ability, design and creativity as well as use of the required fabric.
    Yes, I totally agree with you. I understood this before I even entered, and this was a big part of the decision making process for me.

I did still choose to enter. The Google thing really changed the contest!
    Cathryn

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Wow-I thought this was a forum where things can be discussed, shared,concerns raised etc....as someone is is still a novice quilter and was excited to participate-I along with many others felt a little in the dark about all the details regarding the album that was slated to open for voting on 12/1. And yes,we did spend money on specific fabrics that had to be used in the projects. And....I sent an email a couple of days ago hoping for more information-if not for me solely-for the entire community who frequents the forum. I must say that having 450+ entries is a substantial number of participants--and the event is likely to grow in years to come.
    I never received a reply to my email inquiry-nor was any information available until today when the sudden switch from Facebook to Google was explained.

I have not seen any "whiners" or complainers who voiced the type of hostility that was the start of this thread--calling people names and using super negative phrases seems a bit extreme. Especially when you don't have all the facts or information behind the comments that were posted regarding confusion and frustration and lack of clear information for those of us who have looked forward to this day.

Hopefully all will be straightened out soon-and voting can commence as planned--I know many have told me they are having trouble casting votes-at either site.

Lisa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is there really a fair way to judge a contest like this that doesn't end up being a popularity contest? The only way I can see to be totally fair is to have a juried contest, with a rubric clearly stated as to what points the judges would be looking for in assigning points for specific techniques shown in the work. I am assuming this is how the juried shows are judged.

I taught for 26 years, and when I had to evaluate student work that could not be graded by counting right and wrong answers, I always used a rubric to keep things as fair as possible. So this contest isn't really fair as far as judging skill and technique, and it is a popularity contest. And we knew that going into it. But the way the points are being counted changed misstream, and it will help some and hurt others. But it is what it is, so let's just roll with it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! Does any one know why the turkey crossed the road??
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cause he didn't want to be called a chicken!!

Just thought I would interject a little humor!!
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This kind of turmoil is exactly why I don't enter these contests and why I won't be voting. I've not looked at Facebook. In order to be more objective, I don't want to know who made what before voting and I think all voting should be anonymous. Good luck to all who entered.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mpyles View Post
    Hey! Does any one know why the turkey crossed the road??
    To avoid being Thanksgiving dinner?