Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Charm squares not cut correctly

Dear All , I am a first time customer across the pond. Your goods finally arrived on Wednesday. I finally finished what I was working on and today I decided to embark on the Jacobs Ladder remix quilt with my 8 charm packs of black and white squares . However to my horror the white charm of cotton supreme optical whites are not 5inches square. They are all bigger than my Kona black charm packs.. much bigger. Can somebody advise me as to what has happened. Thank you .

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charm squares not cut correctly

Unfortunately often times the precuts are not cut perfectly, I often find they vary from one to another in the same charm pack. For solids I usually cut my own, only buy charm packs and jelly rolls in order to get the coordinating colors included. If they are very far off I would suggest trimming them down to match the smallest of the charm squares.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Unnggg that's 168 squares to trim down.. :-( :-(

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Many forum members found that the charm packs from RJR are cut bigger, these were the LOVELY line, the ones used in the Iron quilter contest. I just cut mine down, I had the same number as you and it didn't take that long, because I did 2or 3 at a time with a square up ruler. I think the optical white also comes from RJR, the colors are great, but they end up being labor intensive because they cannot be mixed with charms from other manufacturers without trimming. Sorry for your extra work.

5. Thanks Pitsa thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had a layer cake from Moda about a year ago with problems. They are supposed to be 10 inches square but mine were all 10.5. It required some extra cutting but mistakes happen. I was just glad they were too big rather than too small.
    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

7. Thanks Pitsa thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

bought some charm packs when I was traveling this summer and noticed the same thing. The batiks were 5.75"! It really shows when you put it with another pack. My friend had never seen just a big difference either. I have been thinking of what I can use them with without having to trim them down. I suppose I should look at it as a blessing instead of a misfortune...extra fabric for free. Yeah, that didn't work too well.
    Home is where your mother is..........

9. Thanks Pitsa thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I buy lots of charm packs too, & like others, I've learned that you do have to check 'em all. The worst, by far, were the Lovely charm packs by RJR that I bought for the Iron Quilter contest. They were cut poorly ( mostly 5" x 5 1/8" and a couple at 5" x 5 1/4" ) but many also included selvages. Those I had to cut down so much that I was left with "squares" measuring 5" x 4 1/2" and 4 7/8" x 4 1/2" And some of the squares were cut way off grain. What a mess!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

All you have to do is email M* or call them, they are wonderful about everything.
    Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm doing a project I get pre-cuts from the same Mfg. That helps RJR is by far the *bad* cut ones that I've seen! If I pair up Moda and RJR it's a disaster ugh, but that said I too had 4 charms for the Iron quilt and doing them like Jean said a few at a time didn't take too long -Just awful we have to do this with "pre-cut" fabric.

Sorry and I'm glad they are Bigger not smaller but nothing we can do will help :-(

Debbie
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

13. Thanks Pitsa thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

If they're going to be wonky, then bigger is better, so you have a little to play with to square them up. I'm sure the mechanical process that's used to cut them in the first place can be part of the problem-- with all that fabric running through at high speeds and lint gumming the works...

15. Thanks Pitsa thanked for this post