Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions please

Hello everyone, hope you are having a blessed day. I was wondering if you thought it was inappropriate or rude to send a little note and care, cleaning and storage suggestions when giving a quilt. I know once you give it, it's theirs to do whatever but I just hate to see things not taken care of. And there's no guarantee the recipient would follow it anyway. What do you think?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Opinions please

I don't think it is rude or inapproprite at all. You purchase clothing and blankets or whatever in the store and give as gifts and it always has care instructions on it. Why should a handmade priceless quilt be any different? I say go for it, at least that way they will know how to care for it.
    Just my opinon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's rude or inappropriate at all. You put a lot of time, money and love into your gift. Many people have no clue how to wash or care for a quilt. I always wash my gift quilts before I give them to make sure everything's going to be okay (bleeding, shrinkage, etc). Count yourself fortunate if somewhere down the line your quilt isn't used underneath a car during an oil change...as happened to my hand quilted maple leaf quilt I gave to a friend as a wedding gift.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I think this is a nice idea. This way the giftee isn't left to wonder how to wash the quilt. I never thought about that before.

It will be interesting to hear from the more experienced quilters on this, since I'm a relative newbie quilter.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I make it a habit of giving washing instructions for quilts especially baby quilts for gifts. This information I put on the congratulations card or whatever that goes with the quilt.

For special quilts, I also write a letter about my thought process, why the quilt was made, what the pattern is and why I chose it. Most of my quilts are going to family members, so it is meaningful to have the letter. I like to tell the story about what the quilt is about, what the recipient means to me, and all that sappy stuff. My Dad said he's putting his letter in his 'treasure box' because nobody ever wrote a letter like that to him. Little does he know the letter is posted for all the world to see on my blog Kathy's Cache: An Open Letter to My Dad, minus any of the really personal stuff, along with his picture on on my post: Kathy's Cache: Why do I quilt.

6. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Very good idea!...along with a color catcher, maybe!?
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Care labels come with everything we buy. Why not with a quilt we've made.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the opinions, sorry Bubby that people are so inconsiderate. Kathy that was a great letter to your dad, wish I was able to have memories like that of my father but we were never close. He's a father not a dad to me, there is a huge difference

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is rude at all. In fact, I think it is such a great idea I will try to start doing that with items quilted and crocheted. I think most recipients would even appreciate having care instructions for something so treasured.
    Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have done this with several of the quilts I've made. Connecting Threads has a free downloadable and printable PDF that is perfect for this.

Quilt Care Information Sheet from ConnectingThreads.com Quilting