Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Owls, Resistance is futile!

So I have a bit of a confession. I am not that person that has to have the latest and greatest thing out there. If anything new hits the market and I mean any market, restaurant, technology, skincare and quilting, whatever it is I don't need it right away. I am just not that lady.

I think it was last March or so I had a 60% coupon for Joann's and I got the Shape cut ruler because I had heard on this forum how wonderful it was. It has sat in a drawer ever since, never even opened. Well a little over a week ago I got frustrated cutting 2 1/2 inch squares. I always seemed to end up with at least one or two that just weren't right. So I pulled out the shape cut to give it a try. Oh my God! It is amazing and I have even cut squares for a project I don't even plan to touch until February just to cut some more squares.

So tonight's question is:

Are you resistant to the latest and greatest tools/technology whatever it may be and do you now love something that you were resistant to using before?

By the way it is O.K. to laugh at me for being resistant to the one of the greatest quilting tools ever!!!!!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Night Owls, Resistance is futile!

Good topic Lisa! I have the Shape cut ruler on my wish list for my family. I'm not one to run out and get the latest and greatest gadget either. With most electronic gadgets.......they are almost obsolete by the time you get them home from the store.

As far as quilting gadgets and rulers..........I like reading opinions about them here on the forum. That helps me decide if that is something I would really use. In most cases I will wait it out until my b-day or Christmas. I did splurge a little when I went to the Houston quilt show last year.

It's kind of funny about the latest and greatest.....sometimes it is something coming around again in popularity. Our son's girlfriend bought him a record player for his b-day.........and they think it is the coolest thing ever! Too funny!

Good night little night owls!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like to wait until the newness is gone and i have read reviews both good and bad. Even then I usually do not get new gadgets. If what I have is working I figure why change it.

I have not yet found myself interested in the cutting gadgets. I like cutting materials and I really like precuts.

But the more I hear about them who knows what the future will bring.

Have a good late night all.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't get used to the shape cut. Maybe I'm using too large of a cutter? It's still hanging on the wall. I like my rulers I haven't gotten into the phone world.

I know it's not open mike but my day started off trying to get rid of my paper hoarding. I got pretty far. How long do you keep your bill invoices? I think every table was covered and I just don't know how long to keep them!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to quilting, I am the gadget gal. I own way too many special purpose rulers. Then again, they improve "my" quilting skills so I love them all. Truth be known, a good quilting tool is far more a testament to the tool designer than to any skills I have. Those gadget designers are the ones who make my quilts look better.

As for new electronics, however, I'm with the rest of you. I like to let other people try them out and work out the bugs.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lori: When the bill has been paid and it is reflected in our account the paper bill gets shredded. We really don't have any paper bills come here anymore because we pay everything online now.

Shape cut, I am just loving it, maybe you need to try a different cutter?

Tech, we always wait until the bugs are out (minimum of 1 year) and the price to come down, usually 2 yrs.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not one that needs the latest or greatest out there. I work with what I have. Don't get me wrong, sometimes there are things that really catch my eye but if it's online, I'll put it in my cart, look around the site for awhile and then take it out, knowing it isn't something I can't live without. I do the same thing when shopping at the store. I do believe in the right tool for the right job, but let's get real....how many rulers does one really need? I also try to save money and make some of my templates myself.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I can't get used to the shape cut. Maybe I'm using too large of a cutter? It's still hanging on the wall. I like my rulers I haven't gotten into the phone world.

I know it's not open mike but my day started off trying to get rid of my paper hoarding. I got pretty far. How long do you keep your bill invoices? I think every table was covered and I just don't know how long to keep them!
    Most of our bills are electronic too, and we pay 98% of our bills online. Anything paper that does come into the house gets put into one file box. At the beginning of the year, I keep what I need for taxes and everything else gets shredded or burned. I only keep 1year going at a time. I keep all my taxes in the folder we're given in a drawer. Those I keep about 10 years which is probably longer than I need to but they don't take up much room.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=GuitarGramma;419298]When it comes to quilting, I am the gadget gal. I own way too many special purpose rulers. Then again, they improve "my" quilting skills so I love them all. Truth be known, a good quilting tool is far more a testament to the tool designer than to any skills I have. Those gadget designers are the ones who make my quilts look better.

What has been your favorite cant live without purchase and what do you regret purchasing?
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For me it depends on the gadget...I have 4 rulers I think and 2 of those are the big square ones I purchased when doing the tshirt quilts. I promised myself when I got into quilting that I would not have a bunch of ufo's laying around. I am finding that a challenge with clubs and BOM. I feel like it's getting out of hand... My issues are the quilting of them...it's just really difficult on a 10inch throat to roll it all up under there for me. Think my next gadget will be a larger machine so I am saving my money. That means staying out of the LQS cause they could sell me the Golden Gate Bridge I think.

Paper clutter.....don't get me started....
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

11. Thanks Jeannie acton thanked for this post