Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THREAD

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: THREAD

I can't get away from my roots of a former patient, my mother and grandmother in law being seamstresses. They only used Mettler so that is what I use sometimes poly sometimes cotton, depends on what the store has at the moment. I am ordering Aurofill, King Tut and some connecting threads to give it a try but I wont be doing that until after the holidays. I so use Robison Anton for quilting when I want a bright color though.

As for Coats n Clark? I was told by 3 different repair shops to never use the stuff and the first time it cost me $125 dollars to find out it was the reason that I was having tension issues on my machine. I asked for thread recomendations at the other two shops and all 3 recommended Mettler, YLI (my machine hates it), Robison Anton, King Tut and one other I can't remember right now. The way I look at it is that I am investing in quality fabric and the thread that I use should be just as high quality for both my machine and my finished sewing project no matter what that is.

Having said that it is a personal/machine choice, I don't think there is any "stock" answer.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

2. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisapc View Post
    I can't get away from my roots of a former patient, my mother and grandmother in law being seamstresses. They only used Mettler so that is what I use sometimes poly sometimes cotton, depends on what the store has at the moment. I am ordering Aurofill, King Tut and some connecting threads to give it a try but I wont be doing that until after the holidays. I so use Robison Anton for quilting when I want a bright color though.

As for Coats n Clark? I was told by 3 different repair shops to never use the stuff and the first time it cost me $125 dollars to find out it was the reason that I was having tension issues on my machine. I asked for thread recomendations at the other two shops and all 3 recommended Mettler, YLI (my machine hates it), Robison Anton, King Tut and one other I can't remember right now. The way I look at it is that I am investing in quality fabric and the thread that I use should be just as high quality for both my machine and my finished sewing project no matter what that is.

Having said that it is a personal/machine choice, I don't think there is any "stock" answer.
    you are right it, is a personal choice and what works for your sewing machine. My mother and great aunt always used Coats & Clark and that is what I have always used. My great aunt passed away 20 years ago at the age of 93 and was a prolific quilter. Nether one of them ever had any machine problems caused by Coats & Clark thread. I have been sewing since I was about 6 yo and I have used vintage machines, as well as newer plastic Singers, Brothers and my newer Janome. I too have never had an type of machine damage due to my choice of thread.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

4. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That $1.98 cone thread from Joanne is usually serger thread. Not the best either. Lots of slubs. I've used it just where I need one color, by buying one spool and using bobbins for the other threads. If Joanne has Gutermann for that price then it's good but the large spools of Gutermann are over $5. They also have some C&C.

6. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

What thread do you think my Kenmore would like? LOL. Here is the model:
    http://www.sewconsult.com/kenmore/38...uals/16231.jpg

Kenmore model number 385.16231.

I've not purchased cones yet, so this information will be very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance for your replies, and tosses out Hershey Kisses to the forum.

Spyder

8. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

As you will see from my question here, I am fairly new to quilting but here goes anyway....is serger/over locking thread very different from sewing machine thread?

10. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auntpiggylpn View Post
    you are right it, is a personal choice and what works for your sewing machine. My mother and great aunt always used Coats & Clark and that is what I have always used. My great aunt passed away 20 years ago at the age of 93 and was a prolific quilter. Nether one of them ever had any machine problems caused by Coats & Clark thread. I have been sewing since I was about 6 yo and I have used vintage machines, as well as newer plastic Singers, Brothers and my newer Janome. I too have never had an type of machine damage due to my choice of thread.

I think it is great that some people find no troubles with any choice they make for thread with their machines. That is what I love about quilting, it is really to each their own. I am getting closer to branching out and trying the other brands that I mentioned, mainly out of curiosity because I haven't had any trouble with what I do use.
    Last edited by Lisapc; November 18th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

12. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is a really good thread info site. Everything you ever wanted to know (& some stuff you never cared about) regarding thread.
    Education

This page will tell you about the differences between serger, quilting and embroidery threads:
    The Differences between Quilting Thread, Embroidery Thread, Serger Thread, & Construction Thread

14. Thanks maxwellthecat, spyderquilt thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I will go and check it out.

16. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jingleme View Post
    This is a really good thread info site. Everything you ever wanted to know (& some stuff you never cared about) regarding thread.
    Education

This page will tell you about the differences between serger, quilting and embroidery threads:
    The Differences between Quilting Thread, Embroidery Thread, Serger Thread, & Construction Thread
    Fantastic! Thank you for the research!
    ((a handful of root beer barrels for you))
    Spyder

18. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jingleme View Post
    Education

From the second link:

Piecing Thread
    Cotton is preferred because it can be ironed with a high heat iron.
    A fine, smooth, evenly twisted, low-lint 50 wt. thread will make the best seam.
    Highest grade is extra-long staple Egyptian-grown cotton.
    Recommended: MasterPiece.

That makes perfect sense. Our irons are hot and only cotton would withstand the press over for setting the seams.

Thanks again for this post.

20. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post