Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: fmq learning

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default fmq learning

I am questioning my sanity, and most certainly putting Aleve and my patience to the test. I have been trying to learn fmq, started on some "scrap" sandwhiches (I am calling them "scrap" because I've figured something out to do with them.) I've discovered how insanely addictive fmq can be, which is great since I have a thread stash that needs to be blown through so I can finally get some good stuff.

The insane part is after a few practice sandwhiches I decided to load up my machine with monofilimant thread, aka fishing line- and man what a hair raiser that has been. Good thing is that I only needed it for the exterior of my border since there were soooo many colors already I didn't need to add another one, just wanted it quilted down. To make it ever crazier, the piece I'm quilting on is my first quilt for the Iron Quilter challenge. sigh. Overall I'm happy with it, thankfully I've made sure to practice practice practice everytime I've switched stitch styles. (I've got some elements in my quilt that if I used an all-over quilt design it would spoil the work I put into the design.)

Sew, after this I have another quilt to finish, might just do straight stitches with the walking foot for it, since I have three quilts I have to have done in 10 days (holiday vaca and hubby says no to the machine going with lol)

Anywho, anyone have some fmq designs that they love that are good for beginners? So far I've attempted (in monofilimant) a meandering stitch, a pebble circle style stitch (loved that), and lastly, a spiral thing. Oh, and I've practiced the feather looking things, love those, but sorry, technical terms escaping me with the time lol. Feel free to share any pictures of practice pieces/ details/ finished pieces to help this crazy fmq beginner out! lol

Happy sewing!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: fmq learning

I am having fun learning to fmq. I am surely not one to yet do any recommending of design. However, check out Leah Day's website. She has over 100 designs. She is on youtube as well. I love her teaching methods and many designs are pretty easy
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

3. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

lol, I already have watched several of her videos, she's the one I got the swirl thing from lol. I just seemed as if most of her designs would be a bit too complicated for me.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and the purpose I have in mind for my fmq "scrap" sandwhiches is a book for my son. He's 1 and he is in love with every practice sandwhich I do. It's wonderful to hear him squeal with delight every time I hand him a new piece. He is fascinated by the colors and the textures that are created by the fmq. Once I have enough different practice pieces I'm going to make some binding (thank you mom for the binding maker tools) and cut everything to the same sizes, bind the edges, and stitch them all into a book. In the end, my son will have a great book filled with colors, textures, and I'll have a book of my practice pieces.

I can think of a millon other things to do with them, but since my son is sew very fascinated with them I don't think a bath mat would be a very good idea at this time rofl.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea to make a book out of your practice sandwiches. Even a bigger incentive to practice each new technique and stitch. I don't use the mono-filament thread, i don't like working with it. Just my preference. Another quilter did tell me not a good idea to use it in children quilt's anyway.
    I found when i was FMQ, to just trace all sorts of patterns or designs I found that i liked and practice those. Sometimes, applique patterns are a good place to find them too. Good Luck and have fun.
    Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

7. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post