Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What a crockpot disaster

I had in my mind to make a pulled pork type thing, but using turkey because I don't eat pork. The recipe seemed fool proof. Two turkey thighs, onion, cumin, prepared mustard and some B-Bque sauce. Slow for 10 hours. Almost all recipes said 10 hrs.

It came out like leather on top and after I salvaged it, it was like one chicken breast. I don't know if I really want to eat it.

Any advice?

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What a crockpot disaster

No advice really, except I think 10 hours is a very long time for most things. I usually put on high for 1 hour and then low for another 5-6 hours depending on what it is and how big. I'm thinking that 10 hours was way too long for turkey. Let us know if you're brave enough to test it....it might taste ok but just be super dry.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't put barbecue sauce in a crockpot until maybe 1/2 hour before serving. It tends to get very sticky and dry. Turkey only needs about 4 or 5 hours to cook on low.
    Dolores

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

10 hrs seems way too long for that amount of food. Poultry usually cooks approx. 5-6 hrs. I check it after 5 hrs. Check with a fork to see if it's tender; if not, continue to cook awhile.

If you are using a large 6 qt size crockpot, foods will cook faster if the crock is not full. If it's only half full, it will cook much faster. I like to remove the meat first, remove any bones, drain off the excess liquid, add the sauce and return to the crock to finish.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The pork would have a higher fat content and "self-basted" the meat while cooking, keeping it moist. Depending on the cut of meat, you need to adjust the time/temp for connective tissue break down, or toughness removal.

My slow cooker recipe book called for 3.5 to 4 quart crockpot, 2 Turkey thighs, & about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sauce. The cook times are listed at 5 hours on high and 10 on low. (I'm thinking I'd probably flip them a couple of times during the process if I were home, or add a 1/4 c. of chicken stock if I was going to be out all day to keep them steamy.)

I know that the shape and size of the cooker can make a difference too. I like my big oval one for larger cuts or frozen shapes of meat, but the liquid in the recipes doesn't always look right. I'll add a bit more and figure I can reduce the sauce if I need to.

My two books are Better Homes & Gardens Biggest Slow Cooker recipes (I found the above recipe in that) and Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes by Rival Crock-Pot. I have had good luck with both of them.

Sorry about your disaster! Hopefully you can figure out what went wrong!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually poultry doesn't have to cook that long does it? I'd say you need to find a different recipe and try again.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but put your poultry in (and I agree 10 hours way too long!) cover with a can of root beer or coke (not pepsi, and I don't know why) when the meat is done, shred and put in a pan on the stove with some melted margerine or butter, add your barbecue sauce and toss and heat. Delicious, the root beer is my favorite. Make sure the meat is just covered.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Advice? EAT PIGS!

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

The above info is great - somewhere I read that an easy way to 'pull' meat is to stick it in the Kitchen Aide with the bread hook and let it 'pulse' a couple times (NO MORE). Doesn't work on turkey leather though . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

lol @ turkey leather. That's what it was. I tapped it with a spoon and I could of made a drum out of it. Pigs are too cute to eat.

I had such good luck with my past recipes. Mushroom/barley soup, lentil soup, Mexican beans and even chicken cacciatore. I look up lot's of recipes and use the reviews and this was rated high. I thought 10 hrs was long too, but so many said that and to remove the skin So I understand the self basting from the pork fat. Thanks for your advice on the cooking times and when to add the sauce.

I think when I'm researching recipes I see them repeated, like they copy each other ( have you noticed that?) I would rather know from someone I know for advice though.

Well, you can't win every time so I will move on and eat salmon tonight and try another day.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, Turkey Leather or Salmon.

THAT is an easy choice! I think we are having tube steaks and shoestring potatoes.

I'd say you might get away with the 10 hours IF the turkey was frozen, AND in a small crockpot, AND on low. Maybe. At least now you have a tasty hiking snack!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com