Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default BOARDER QUESTION

I know when you are adding boarders together there is a method that you can use to sew them together diagonally which I have been doing but I noticed that this time since my boarders are 8" in width (they are on the back of my quilt), I loose about 8" of fabric sewing them together diagonally. My question is there another method other than swing them straight across??? I hope so because I like the diagonally look but don't want to loose 64" of pretty Christmas fabric. Thanks
    Hawaiigrammi

2. Thanks auntynell thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BOARDER QUESTION

What's reason why you don't want a straight line seam?

You could always do a slight angle.

When I have borders that wide I either cut length of fabric to avoid piecing or I just do a straight line seam.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an episode of Sewing with Nancy where she discusses border options: Video: Fearless Quilting Finishes, Part 1 | Watch Sewing with Nancy Online | WPT Video
    Vonnie

5. Thanks auntynell thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

According to a long arm quilter I was talking to the other day she said that any time you use the miter method on bordering quilts (for the seam when piecing) you are asking for trouble....on any border larger than 2 1/2" she recommends a straight stitch border as the other method of mitering the border seams is just asking for trouble as you now have a bias seam and it can cause all kinds of problems when it is time to quilt it.....just sharing what I was told last week!

7. Thanks AlohaSandy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilmouse View Post
    According to a long arm quilter I was talking to the other day she said that any time you use the miter method on bordering quilts (for the seam when piecing) you are asking for trouble....on any border larger than 2 1/2" she recommends a straight stitch border as the other method of mitering the border seams is just asking for trouble as you now have a bias seam and it can cause all kinds of problems when it is time to quilt it.....just sharing what I was told last week!
    I will have to remember that and on my next quilt do straight line borders and check the difference in my quilting. Thanks for posting this.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

9. Thanks AlohaSandy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilmouse View Post

She told you that to make it easier for her. I longarm and do my borders on the diagonal. If your quilting your quilts, do them whatever way you like, you'll be careful. On a longarm your rolling the quilt top up so yes you have to take care with borders because the fabric in the middle gets taughter as you roll, it's also why longarm quilters don't like middle seams on the back. It's extra work to make sure your not stretching the fabric as you roll. Your paying for the service and care of your quilt, don't let someone change your way of quilting. I know another longarmer here, for her own quilts she stretches the borders before putting them on. So she sews the strip together, then tugs it lengthwise, cuts it to length and attaches it to the top. She quilts very densely and she doesn't have wrinkly borders. What're ever works.
    The original question: if find a way that doesn't waste fabric, I'd love it! I love the look of diagonal verses straight but if I'm running low on fabric I have had to go straight.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the information I like the look of the diagonal but what a waste of fabric and to me fabric is more important. So I guess it is ok to straight stitch it across even though I like the look better of the diagonal.
    Hawaiigrammi

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I only ever mitre borders on stripe fabric

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a confusion between borders and binding? I've always thought the diagonal was best for 'binding' (to avoid the bulkiness) but never used it for the wider 'borders' - doesn't seem necessary somehow.

14. Thanks Kalimac thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Questions?? You said "borders are 8" in width (they are on the back of my quilt)".... Do you mean Piecing the Back of your quilt?

Sorry I'm confused :-) Borders on the front that are 8" wide I cut 1 long piece of fabric if I can, and if not use your quilt to say how to piece it. If I'm doing blocks then a straight line looks better (than an angled), see what I mean? If I'm piecing for the back of a quilt, I always sewing straight lines, fold them over and sew them back down for extra strength. But... I only learned how to online last year and I always quilt my own so know where to pay attention
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.