Hi from South Jersey... I'm a brand new quilter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spyderquilt
    9 Patch Princess
    • Nov 2013

Hi from South Jersey... I'm a brand new quilter!

Hi All,

I'm brand new to quilting, but I am an experienced sewer.

Even being a noob to quilting, I fell excited to have stumbled on to this site. I've watched so many vids of Jenny!

I've not purchased any supplies at all for quilting yet... that is what I really need some good advice on.

Essential supplies... cutting mat, rotary cutter, measures... what sizes? what brands? your opinions and suggestions will certainly be helpful.

I look forward to being an active quilter!!!!!

Spyder
  • Kgrammiecaz
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Re: Hi from South Jersey... I'm a brand new quilter!

Everyone has their favorites. You should start out with a rotary cutter, large as youhave soace for cutting board and maybe a 6x18 ruler. Of course your sewing machine, thread, and lots of fabric. Craftsy has a beginning quilter class. Great place to start as well
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• spyderquilt
      9 Patch Princess
      • Nov 2013

Thank you very much! I hear Walmart has very good prices for quilting notions.

Comment

• bkthomas
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2012

Basic Quiltmaking Tools & Supplies: Tips for Quilters - YouTube

This may help you! Good Luck!
        ~Kathy~

Comment

• cindyinohio
          The Guild President
          • Jan 2013

Hello from Ohio!
          Do you realize this is addicting?? I stumble thru JoAnns Fabric all the time and always find something new that I just gotta have! There cutting tools, mats, rulers, pins, markers, and most important...A SEAM RIPPER!!!
          I suggest buying quilting magazines and books. A good beginner is " Your First QUILT BOOK (or it should be)" by Carol Doak...it's kinda like quilting for dummies. It goes through every thing from supplies to stitches and has some good projects. I've seen it at JoAnn Fabric and Amazon...I bought mine at a quilt shop.
          Have fun and ask any questions here!!
          sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Comment

• momtutor
            Binding Belle
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by spyderquilt View Post
            Hi All,

I'm brand new to quilting, but I am an experienced sewer.

Even being a noob to quilting, I fell excited to have stumbled on to this site. I've watched so many vids of Jenny!

I've not purchased any supplies at all for quilting yet... that is what I really need some good advice on.

Essential supplies... cutting mat, rotary cutter, measures... what sizes? what brands? your opinions and suggestions will certainly be helpful.

I look forward to being an active quilter!!!!!

Spyder
            Hello there spyder. Michele from St. louis Mo. If you have a Joann's near you, the best way to buy a rotary cutter or cutting mat, is to use the 40-50 % off coupons. The rulers can be expensive too,, They sell a beginners quilter pack that would be good to buy, I think it comes with one ruler, a rotary cutter, and a few other notions. I like and use my 6x6 square , and 6x12 rulers the most. These I think are the best to start with. It can be expensive at first, but if you buy a little at a time, and use coupons it helps.
            Welcome, and happy quilting.
            Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....:icon_razz:

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

Comment

• HdWench
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2012

Hi and Welcome from Arizona. I was a experienced seamstress that began quilting last year, and never stopped Quilting! It's very fun and addicting, I know you'll love it!

Yes, Rotary 45mm, Cutting Mat, a couple Rulers (get them the same brand whatever you choose). Using always the same brand rulers keeps the lining up of the pieces better :-) You've got the rest, sewing machine, seam ripper, thread, fabric!

Can't wait to hear what you pick to do first -- A small baby or lap size quilt is best for #1... since it's a good size to learn on

If you don't like to hand sew, Spray Basting! When it comes time to put your quilt Sandwich together

Good luck you are in for FUN!
              Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

• Bubby
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2011

Hi Spyder and welcome to the forum from Missouri.

You need a rotary cutter (45mm) and a self-healing cutting mat. Most of my mats are Fiskars because that's the brand available in my area. Then you need a 6x24 inch ruler for cutting. I'm fond of Quilters Rule brand and they are available online. You will also need cotton thread, scissors, pins and a seam ripper. That's the bear bones minimum for getting started. I'm taking for granted that you have a sewing machine and an iron. There will be loads of additional things you will buy as you go, but the list above should get you started.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• edwina
                  Batting Beauty
                  • May 2012

welcome to the forum this quilting is more than a hobby its an addiction but you will love it .I live in the UK and we don't have coupons so my advice is buy what you can afford start small and work up have fun x
                  love and hugs Edwina .x

Comment

• bjsmith57
                    The Guild President
                    • Oct 2013

Welcome from Arizona
                    bjsmith57

Comment

• Miss Sheri
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2013

Hi Spyder, welcome from Utah! I am only a year into quilting myself, but I have 6 completed quilts done, and about 4 more in progress with about a dozen more planned with fabric purchased and a design determined! Yup, what everyone else said, . . . it's addicting! haha.
                      sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

• pcbatiks
                        Missouri Star
                        • Mar 2012

Hi and welcome to the forum! Hope you have a great time!
                        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Working...
                        X