Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the things you love

I love that I can look at a picture of a quilt and know that I can make it. There are so many amazing prints. We can be creative and make changes and have it still come out great. The list is too long. When I needed a new craft it was easy to pick one. I lobe quilting
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

2. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

First and foremost, for me.......I quilt and sew because it is how I relax and revitalize myself. It nourishes my soul. Stay calm and quilt on....

I also enjoy it because it brings back wonderful memories for me. My mother used to sew,( does ceramics and stain glass work now), and both of my Grandmothers were sewers. So when I sew, I think of them all of the time. Especially if I use a notion or item that was received by them.

The creative person in me.....I love to touch, smell and look at all of the fabrics. When I walk into a fabric store, it is like I forget about all the other stuff going on in my life or the world around me. I love the fact that I can take a piece of fabric, match it with other fabrics, cut it up and put it back together to make something so beautiful and comforting. A weird passion that only a quilter can understand.
    Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

4. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quilting is relaxing, feeds my soul, and takes me away from the cares of the world -- at least for a little while. I love the feel of the fabrics, the colors, and the sense of accomplishment when a quilt is complete.

6. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the feel of brand new fabric....all clean and ready to be used in a creative way. Being a hand quilter, and a sometimes hand piecer, I have to say that I love getting up close and personal with my fabrics.... I especially love the feel of the quilt becoming quilty under my hands.... I am amazed when I complete a hand quilted quilt...

I love the beautiful colors and designs.... Dark paisleys are so beautiful...

I love the sheer pleasure of gifting someone with a part of myself... Most people are completely unaware of the work that goes into even the smallest of quilts..... But that's OK... we know, and that makes the gifting all the sweeter.

I love being able to create something unique.... The colors make me happy....

And, I love that quilting brings do many like minded people together....and that quilters have contributed so much to the history of our country.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

8. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love that I can make something really nice to give away to friends, family and to charities. That is the reason that I started quilting and it blesses me when I see how well they are loved when I give them away.
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

10. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to the world of quilting, but have been sewing for most of my life. I find it very therapeutic to just wander through a fabric store and look, touch, and feel all the wonderful fabrics. I used to sew clothing but over the years have evolved into more of a craft sewist. I just recently got back into sewing after a many year hiatus and I'm having a blast seeing all the new trends and equipment available - there is just so much out there now to make sewing sew much easier than it used to be - especially jenny's tutorials and the rotary cutter.

someone above , Claire I believe, said it all when she said "Sewing just feeds my soul"
    Last edited by Carol336; November 9th, 2013 at 04:15 AM.

12. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cotton Commercial Main - YouTube

This about sums it up!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

first off its fun and relaxing looking at fabrics and deciding what to make, whether it be clothing or a quilt or something else. Then the process begins. and the amazing things you can make from the flat yards of fabric you just bought. Having started as a clothing maker and making my own wedding gown, numerous christening outfits , a 3 piece suit for hubby, tons of fleece jackets , and any other form of clothing for myself or family. to doll clothes and quilts and pincushions. So rewarding to actually see a finished project. I love to cook . bake more but you don't get to see the rewards so much (except on your hips) ex make a beautiful and spend a lot of time decorating so its gorgeous then what you eat it and its gone. Make a beautiful dress and you can wear it over and over. Here is a picture of some amazing small item I have made.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB170003.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	60641
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB220022.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	60642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB080007.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	60651
    Last edited by Iris Girl; November 9th, 2013 at 06:55 AM.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

15. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

It is like cooking, which I also enjoy. You take a lot or a little of something, chop it up, add a lot or a little of other somethings put it all together (piecing) and bake (quilt) for something great. The biggest difference that I have noticed is I only have to worry about bulk at the seams, which is better than worrying about bulk at my waistline!

17. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quilting gives me a way to give part of myself to someone else. I'm more adventurous with the colors I use in my quilts than I am with the décor in our home. Maybe not, I have a red and egg yolk yellow kitchen. Quilting is a way of self expression - it's calming and energizing at the same time. Quilting keeps me centered. Quilting also connects me to the other women in my family the sewed and quilted.

19. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post