Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need to now sandwich my quilt but I cannot get down on the floor.

I am lucky that I can go to the church to lay mine out on a few tables put together. I can't lay the larger quilts on my floor because my kitties think that I have laid them out a bed just for themselves! So, if you can't get to a place to use a few tables, Rebecca's idea to purchase 2 tables that you can put out of the way when not needed is a great idea. I tried once to lay mine on the bed - too soft for me too.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I lay mine on our queen size bed, but I am a spray baster not a pinner. The tile floor is just tooooooo hard on these old knees.
    Hola from sunny Mexico, Cheryl

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm like Cheryl - I can't get down on the floor to work. I actually have a large dining room table that I can lay things out on. But, lacking that I'd work on my bed - you just need to go easy so you don't pin the blankets on the backing, but it can be done.

I still don't know if I lost a horse or not . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit type A about things so I tape my backing down to the top of a couple of folding buffet tables. I then layer my batting and top to the backing and pin from the center out. This saves my back as well as assuring that I don't get any gathers, fold, wrinkles , or puckers while pinning.
    Michele

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

we have tile all down stairs in our house.. so I lay it out on the tile.. but I love what rebeccas-sewing did.. the 2 folding tables with risers. That is an excellent idea.. i have back problems too so anything to not have to stay in a bent over position for too long is fantastic!!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, crawling around of the floor certainly is a challenge! So, I tried the temporary spray glue method on the quilt that I am doing now. I taped to a wall with RS facing the wall, sprayed the fabric...put on the batting and smoothed it out really well..sprayed the batting...applied quilt top, RS out. It was amazing! I don't think I will ever pin again. This was a double size quilt so it as fairly easy to manage, but anything bigger might require a helping hand, or using the floor. The glue is kinda stinky, but a fan helps. I am quilting it now, and it has held together amazingly. The glue washes out with the first washing.
    Patti

7. Thanks CarolynK thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I use basting spray instead of pins (except around the edge). I layer it on my bed. It works every time.
    Suzette

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a bed to pin my quilts. I am not sure which is worse getting down on the floor, or being bent over pinning on a bed. LOL When I pin on the bed I take my cutting mat and slide it under the quilt so I am not pinning into the bedding. You can slide the cutting mat around and it does not mess up the quilt. It works if you are not into spray basting
    JVO

10. Thanks bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone but i use clamps to put around my table.I start with one side (top),clamp,pull tight clamp( bottom),do this all around if possable.I'm going to be sandwiching another quilt shortly.Connie C

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I started using the Sharon Schamber basting method (with pins instead of thread basting but I might thread baste in the future). You can do it on a table top and you don't have to tape anything.

Works much better and my back and knees thank me when I'm done!
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

13. Thanks irishrn thanked for this post