Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Sashing

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sashing

My next quilt project I want to make is a 16 patch with sashing around each block. I know there's an easy way to do the sashing, but I can't seem to figure it out. Can you help me please? I'm having a "senior's moment". Lol. Thank you

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sashing

I've haven't done sashing yet but there is a M* tutorial, Square in Square quilt, where Jenny uses sashing. That may help. I'll be reading any hints with you though because the next baby quilt I'm doing has sashing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carolyn, one way to do sashing would be.......sew a piece of sashing to one (vertical) side of each block across each row. These could be chain sewn. Then sew long pieces of sashing (horizontal) to connect each row after each row is assembled. Hope this makes sense......
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I watched the video and that's what I was looking for. Jenny did exactly what you said to. Vertical sashing to blocks then a long piece connecting the rows.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking from experience, be sure your blocks are the same size before adding sashing, esp. with a cornerstone. I have a UFO with Civil War fabric that I just love and thought all my big blocks were the same since I used templates to cut pieces, etc. Once I had sashing on and tried to join them, it didn't work out. So measure those blocks and cut down the ones that are too large. Much better to do that before sashing is attached and you have to get out the seam ripper....I know.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, all blocks should be squared up before adding sashing. I usually make my sashing strips ~1/2" longer than the block, then trim each corner. One wants to add the sashing to the R side of the blocks all the way across, except for the final block. Then sew all the rows together. Be sure to cut your long strips of sashing a little longer than the width of your row so you won't end up short. Begin sewing in the middle & work out to either side, being careful to match where the vertical sashings meet. When finishing the quilt top, square the corners & carefully trim any uneven places along the sides. JCY

7. Thanks barblallen@mac.com, Bratbear thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

What size should the sashing be? I have 12.5" blocks unfinished (before joining). What size should my sashing be?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barblallen@mac.com View Post
    What size should the sashing be? I have 12.5" blocks unfinished (before joining). What size should my sashing be?
    I always use a 2.5 inch sashing. Finish with a 2.5 inner border and whatever other border I like for an outer is 5 to 8 inches wide.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lorie

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tries Jenny's way? Which is easier?
    Lisa

Keep calm and quilt!