Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default I know its turnover week...but I have a jelly roll question?

Hi ladies, I have a question about jell rolls..will 1 jelly roll make a twin size quilt if I did a fence rail pattern? About how many for a queen quilt using fence rail pattern,,, And what would be the proper width for the sashing... new to this ... I got my jelly roll from you guys last week, fabric is so pretty! I would like to make a quilt for my sis for christmas so I will be placing another order soon! Thank you, Theresa Acker

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I know its turnover week...but I have a jelly roll question?

Hi welcome to you!
    A Jelly roll will just about make a twin size quilt. You can make it larger with sashing and borders. I think the fence rail pattern will look great. Please post a picture when you are done, we would love to see it ....and good luck

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I know its turnover week...but I have a jelly roll question?

Hi.. just a hint to help with your question - not all jelly rolls are equal.. check the quantity on the label.
    Those strips are 2.5 inches wide and approx 42 inches long - do the math now - seams take up 1/4 inch from each side of a strip - so you have 2inches X 40inches for each strip (you are going to lose some in the selvedge removal and seams and squaring ) so now you know you have a width of the 2 " and a length of 40"; now count the strips, multiply that by the 2inches.. and you can get a close guess as to size. In this instance, we'll say you have 34 strips... 2X34 = 68" you have a 'piece of fabric' approx 40X68 " which is Roughly close to 2 yards.
    If you are sewing the strips together on the long edges, be sure to change sewing direction -> / -<each strip.. or you will get bumps and bubbles and wobbles
    There are several great books on doing strip quilts, it has become a hot item
    Even easier though is one of the quilt fabric calculators, but I have not traded fabric budget for a calculator!
    If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.