Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbe need some help and suggestions

Hi Everyone.

Am a new sewer and would like to get into quilting. Been watching You Tube and am learning lots of stuff. Have made 10 minute table runners and pillowcases. So my question is.......what to get started with... need something easy so I don't get upset and don't finish it. What supplies would I need? Want gradually add to my supplies so not to give hubby a heart attach! Is it better to get a kit that has the material (I would NOT what kind of material and how much).
    So ladies can/will you help me!! PLEASE....WITH CHOCOLATE ON TOP??

Sandi Z

2. Thanks Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbe need some help and suggestions

For quilting you use 100% cotton fabric. The basics to start with are a cutting mat ( the largest you can afford) an acrylic ruler 6x24 is a good size but a smaller one would work and a rotary cutter 45mm are a really good size. Quilters straight pins are also good to have. Start small. Quilted place mats, runners or table toppers are good beginning projects. I certainly wouldn't go larger than a baby quilt. That way you don't get so overwhelmed with a big project. Jenny's tutorial are a great resource for easy patterns. Good luck and have fun. Don't strive for perfection, it doesn't exist.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

4. Thanks SandiZ, Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hello. You came to the right place. I am certain you will get lots of great advice here and wonderful guidance.

My first quilt was a simple 9 patch. Very easy and doable.
    I almost always use cotton fabric
    A quilters ruler and a rotary cutter are helpful. I didn't use those on my first quilt, drew the lines with a pencil and cut with scissors because I wasn't going to invest a bunch of money into something if I didn't like doing it.
    Dream it-Do it

6. Thanks SandiZ, Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Looking back now I would have signed up for a beginner class at the local quilt shop. Could have used their equipment and had someone to help me.
    Good luck and please post pics.
    Dream it-Do it

8. Thanks SandiZ, Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest thing to do is a simple one patch baby quilt... Jenny has a good tutorial.... Get a charm lack, and simply sew the five inch squared into a small quilt top. No cutting!

Marilyn is right... There is no such thing as perfection in quilting... You just do the best you can, and have fun.... No quilt police, either, so once you learn a few basics, you can do whatever you like.... Unless you are entering a show, there really aren't any "rules" that can't be broken.... Go for it!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

10. Thanks SandiZ, Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned above, mat, rotary cutter and at least one ruler is good to start. Soon enough you'll have so much equipment you'll feel like you can open your own shop. It's a quilter's disease, we all have it and there is no cure. You will get plenty of encouragement here to help you along with your disease and addition, because just like potato chips, once you have one quilt, you just can't stop at one!
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

12. Thanks SandiZ, mdenzine, Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Marilyn. I wish I had a larger mat, but I use a 14 inch ruler more often than I use my 24 inch. My 45mm Rotary Cutter (Fiskers) has been with me for 20 years now. LOL.

With those tools, Jenny Tutorials and fabric... I can make anything I want.

Oh... and a sewing machine, of course. I have a Janome.

14. Thanks SandiZ, Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Such good advice given here I can only add that, like me you may make some mistakes but you will learn from each and every one of them which will help you further down the line. Making small projects is the piece of advice I wish I had benn given when I started quilting recently. Good luck and enjoy yourself

16. Thanks SandiZ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there Sandi, Welcome to the Forum, and to Quilting. I am not quite a year into quilting, but I have learned so much here and made sweet friends in the process. So, welcome aboard!
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

18. Thanks SandiZ thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Marilyn that a baby quilt is a great place to start. Jenny has a tutorial series on making a baby quilt.

Also check out the Quilty videos on youtube they start at the very very basics, what supplies you need, threading a machine, etc. I have not bought a kit before, I don't think, so I can't help you there. But I guess if it's a kit you like for a small project at a beginner level, that would be as good a place to start as any!

WELCOME to the forum!
    Susan
    ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

20. Thanks SandiZ thanked for this post