Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default A few things for my baby... (not entirely quilting related)

As I have mentioned on here before, my wife is currently pregnant with our first child. [So excited!] We recently found out it is a boy! His name is Sawyer and his middle name is my first name (Ryan). Oddly, we've been so busy with other stuff that we haven't really been working on a quilt for him yet although I'm open to ideas on patterns. I have however been working on some other sewing and non-sewing projects to prepare for his arrival.

I made some simple curtains in blue and black/white checkerboard fabric for the window in the nursery:

Nothing amazing but they'll be okay for a while.

I also got a pattern to make decorative diaper covers (bloomers). I made this one for my little man and another one for my S-i-L's baby girl. (Hers is purple sparkle fabric with pink polkdots)

This picture shows them with the elastic cut according to the pattern. I went back and shortened it up for more "pucker" in the leg and waist holes and I think it will fit better this way.

We are also working on this picnic/play quilt. Top is done, just needs to be quilted. We are using denim as the backing in hopes of it being more durable. Sill to use a predominantly white quilt as an outdoor quilt but I suppose if it gets dirty that is just proof it was well used and well loved.

Besides sewing projects, I made this forward facing bookshelf out of reclaimed material from a local archatectural salvage store. It is a pine structure with vintage poplar molding accent on the face. Our nursery is tiny and this was a great space saver mounted to the wall. I painted it to match the other nursery furniture which is from the 40's and originally belonged to my baby's paternal great-great-grandfather.

These books were just a few from my childhood. We have since been given a bunch of more baby-appropriate books to fill the shelf with.

Other projects still in the works include:
    • A baby quilt.
    • Matching father/son vests or shirts so we can look stylish when we go out together.
    • Maybe more clothing type things. It is hard when you can buy baby clothes so inexpensively to spend the time and money to make them myself but I think making clothes really improves my sewing skills.

Feel free to post up other ideas of things I should make for the baby as I'm sort of new at this and I understand many of you have children or even grandchildren.
    Loosely based on a true story.

2. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A few things for my baby... (not entirely quilting related)

Ryan LOVE the whole room the bookshelf.....wouldn't that be great to put quilting books on ...you could even do it ladder style from left to right too. the curtains will "grow " with him. As for the matching clothes I think it would be so cute for you to have the same color shirt, bought or made, and then make bowties/ties to match.
    Kellie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan, congrats!!!! Love all your projects, and think the idea of father/son vests or shirts is just adorable. Have fun!
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Everything looks great! You will want some burp cloths, bibs, tepees.
    Nap Time Crafters: Pee Pee Tee Pee with Free Pattern

6. Thanks HandsomeRyan thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your baby projects are wonderful! Love those little diaper cover.... When is the little guy due?

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Wonderful! Congrats you did a great job!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Ryan, everything is adorable! Hope Mrs. HR is feeling well, and that Sawyer has a great time in his lovely room!
    Blessings to your family, ~ Sally \0/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by easyquilts View Post
    When is the little guy due?
    End of February. I think the 27th?
    Loosely based on a true story.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just adore that as the Daddy you are so involved in every aspect of this little Sawyer's life.....including so much sewing! Your wife must cherish that!!! I love all your room additions and that thin little bookshelf is awesome and will be much used in that format. The picnic/quilt with the denim backing is genius. Yes, the white will get dirty, but it will wash. The denim background will be durable and will keep every stick, pebble, and even pine needles away from that precious baby's backside! The diaper cover is adorable, but probably won't be seen much till summer when the temps allow baby to be more uncovered. I made tons of these for my baby girl......so adorable peeking from little dresses as they crawl! Congrats and keep us posted! You are doing a great job at Daddy!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Feburary babies are fabulous! Mine is sneaking up on 8 already!

You are probably going to need a diaper bag. After dragging around one of those clunky jobs from the baby store, I found this Dual Duty Diaper Bag pattern at SewBaby.
    Sew Baby - Double Duty Bag pattern by Sewbaby
    I really liked the ability to stuff it under the seat of the stroller or just about anywhere else. I'm not sure if they have updated the pattern since I bought it. I did find that making it with denim, corduroy, or canvas and novelty prints worked out well. I added 2" to the handle length and used the extra to create a tacking spot for additional strength.
    I also changed the pocket strip. They wanted you to line the cotton fabric with a lightweight fusible interfacing. I still did, but I also lined it with a coordinating fabric. The one I tried with just the interfacing as lining shredded pretty quickly. Two layers of cotton and one of interfacing seems to be just right.
    A portable, washable changing pad is also a good thing to carry with you. You really don't want to lay your baby directly on those public changing tables.
    I also found that small flannel hankies and terry wash rags were good things to tote around. You can make your own with yardage and some cute novelty prints as binding. A package of disposable diaper baggies from the dollar store make a great way to keep the trash under control, and also a good way to keep dirty, wet clothes from contaminating everything else in the bag.

Congratulations on the up coming arrival and good job on the already completed projects!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

13. Thanks HandsomeRyan thanked for this post