Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A few things for my baby... (not entirely quilting related)

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
    End of February. I think the 27th?
    Make it 23rd, that's my birthday, haha!
    Congratulations once again. I have absolutely no doubt that you will make a perfectly amazing father. I think it's wonderful that you put so much effort into your Sawyers decor, from building furniture to sewing curtains. Your wife must be so proud of you! If anyone of you two is a knitter, you can also knit a baby cocoon. I recently found out about them and I think they are (to put it with Jennys words the cutest thing ever! http://www.pinterest.com/sdavis55/kn...-baby-cocoons/
    The picnic quilt looks great! Can't wait to see it quilted! Great job on everything, as I said already, your wife must be so proud of you!
    ~* Steffie *~

Life is like a party. You invite a lot of people; some go, some join you, some laugh with you, some didn’t come. But in the end, after the fun, there would be a few who would clean up the mess with you. And most of the time, those were the uninvited ones.

My AWESOME new blog (hey, I like it ) http://evilynnigirl.blogspot.fi
    /
    Add me on Facebook: Steffie Eronen

2. Thanks HandsomeRyan thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I'll look into some of the other suggestions about things to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanato7 View Post
    I am so very excited! I've just '"met" my very first MALE sewing person! And considering that I recently turned 65, how in the whole wide world did I miss this "first"?
    I guess I'm the unicorn of the sewing world. A mythical creature which many people claim to have heard of but no one has ever actually seen! I've been sewing off an on for probably 8 years (more off than on) but in January I started quilting which is what led me to this forum (And I have learned so much from these wonderful ladies!). My wife doesn't sew at all but she helps me with cutting and some of the ironing when we quilt. I know sewing (especially quilting) is not the most masculine of hobbies but I balance it out because I'm also a hobby blacksmith/metal worker. Some of my work in that discipline can be found in this thread. Mostly I just like to make stuff no matter what the material is. I feel bad for people who miss out on opportunities to do something they might enjoy because of societal pressure that the activity is somehow gender specific.

I made another diaper cover last night and a little vest. The diaper cover was made with a really pretty green batik fabric that Mrs. HandsomeRyan picked out.

This picture was taken at sort of a 45° angle so the bloomer looks a lot bigger than the vest because of the perspective. They are actually pretty similar in size.

The vest fabric was leftover from making a sailboat quilt for some friends (actually the girl who first introduced my wife and I 14 years ago!) who just had baby. We looked at some sailboat quilt designs and borrowed from them visually but I actually made up the exact specifications of this pattern. That is the beautiful Mrs. HandsomeRyan on the left and our friend Julie on the right.

Each of the sail fabrics are actually subtly patterned and the quilt (i think) looks a lot nicer up close than in the wide angle pictures. Here is an example of the blue sail cloth:

Finally, here is a picture of the bloomers I made for my 5 month old neice.

I can honestly say that I think garment manufacturer is a lot more challenging to me than any of the quilting I've done. Maybe that is because all my quilts are simple straight lines for the most part and clothes have so many curves. I am enjoying it though and as I get better with making the clothes I think I'll probably get better at the quilting as well.

Finally: Here is a picture of me and Mrs. HandsomeRyan at my younger brothers wedding earlier this month. I like to post pictures because I think it makes the screen names we all use to communicate feel much more like real people when we know who we are talking to. It was a little windy that day I hope my hair looks okay.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Loved all your projects Your wife, and children are lucky to have you!
    As for a pattern for his quilt, Do you have any sort of theme picked out for his room?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mandymae View Post
    As for a pattern for his quilt, Do you have any sort of theme picked out for his room?
    The nursery is car, or more specifically Mini Cooper themed. Mini Cooper is our pet name for the baby because, as you can probably guess, our last name is Cooper. I used the black/white checkerboard in the curtains because that is a popular theme for Mini accessories. I spent way more money than I probably should have importing an enamel embossed steel sign from the UK that is waiting to be mounted above the crib:

Other than that we haven't really bought much bedding or other stuff to have a solid color scheme picked out. I threw together those blue curtains because I was bored but if we go in a different direction with the colors in the room I'll remake them with a different fabric instead of the blue.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Well ...
    The color scheme used on this bedding (link to follow) would be cute with the whole mini cooper concept not to mention it already has minis on it haha
    Bedding Minis Mini Cooper Retro Cars Cream Beige Duvet Quilt Cover Bedding Set | eBay

I can get carried away finding stuff on the internet.
    But from what Ive seen, anything you decide will be perfect for the little guy.
    Best of luck!

7. Thanks HandsomeRyan thanked for this post