Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Every thing is part of the learning curve

Hi there, I have been quilting for just a few months and every thing I have done has taught me something. I have made a variety of things, mostly small things but also a bed size quilt. I have not been pleased with all that I have done but each and every thing has been worthwhile in one way or another. I am becoming more confident in my choices and my piecing has come on in leaps and bounds. Even when I have put something together that I was not entirely happy with I have not put it to one side because I look upon it as an opportunity to improve, practice and understand the whole process of quilting. I know I have a long way to go but I am enjoying the journey. Reading the messages in these forums has helped and encouraged/educated me no end and the tutorials are a great asset so THANK YOU MSQ and the all the people who contribute.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Every thing is part of the learning curve

Welcome! Check out the groups section and you will see many new groups that have the forum's work based on Jenny's tutorials. I offer one warning. They are all beautiful!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

3. Thanks Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jeannie,I too am so glad you joined us. I love what you expressed, it mirrors the way I feel about being new to quilting, and the learning process, and helpfulness of Jenny's tutorials and this sweet little forum.
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

5. Thanks Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jeannie that is exactly right.... we pick things that we enjoy but challenge us either through technique, color or design choices. There is always something new out there even if it is a old pattern. Welcome to the forum!!
    Kellie

7. Thanks Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. ..... I did forget one thing in my original post.......I regret that I don't live near MSQ or even in the USA though I am sure my bank balance is the better for it! Oh how I envy those of you with easy access Lol

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter how long you've been quilting, there will always be things you're not entirely happy with and need to put away for awhile. And you're right that this forum will consistently educate and encourage you; I've been quilting for most of my 57 years and this forum is a treasure.

I borrowed one of the first quilts I made from my sister recently to show some friends. After 36 years of being well-loved and well-used, it needs some repair. I've been re-quilting areas where the quilting has come out and have enjoyed the process of stitching on something I made so long ago. Memories keep flooding back. I'm finding it almost difficult to match the long stitches of yesteryear but I'm trying.

Enjoy the journey. It is a wonderful one.
    Grace-Ann

What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

10. Thanks Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Grace-Ann. I don't think it matters how long you have been quilting, sewing, knitting, or whatever. There are always new tips & techniques to learn and practice will only make our skills better.

The most important thing is to enjoy what you are doing!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

12. Thanks Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I echo your sentiments. I've been quilting for just over 3 years and I improve with each quilt I make. I just finished a rag quilt a couple of weeks ago. My very first quilt was a rag quilt for my daughter. We had a chuckle over how uneven my seams are on hers compared to this latest one.

That is one of the things about quilting that I love...we get to see our progress in each quilt we make.

Welcome to the forum
    Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

14. Thanks Jeannie acton thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! I'm a new member-and just want to thank everyone for their post. Like the earlier post, I learn from your questions and answers. I do believe quilters are the nicest people in the world. Booklady

16. Thanks Jeannie acton thanked for this post