Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pieced Butterfly with Precut sizes

So, I remember seeing this beautiful pieced butterfly block this lady did using a 5"square. I fell in love with it, especially when my 5 year old after watching ALL of Jenny's tutorials in a week (we were sick) told me exactly how to make it! Well, the end result has ended up as a cute but blah bathroom rug. I used way too much pattern. So, this time, I was determined not to make the same mistakes twice, and for it to not take NEARLY so long to make. SO, instead of using 5" squares, I upsized, to 10" squares, 2 1/2" squares for the snowballing corners, and 1 1/2" strips for everything else. Please, no hating the blank square, it's where the name for the baby will be embroidered lol.

I am going to be doing a tutorial on how to do the block, I just loved making it in the larger size, and I am sure that since I was able to use pre-cut sizes that it might be appealing to the "pre-cut aholics" (I wouldn't mind being one myself really). So please keep your eyes open for it in the tutorial section sometime late next week. (Going to make another block and take pictures along the way lol)

Now, to just add the embroidery and finish this beauty and deliverClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20131018_195816.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	58471 it lol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pieced Butterfly with Precut sizes

Cute! Your kids are beautiful by the way!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

3. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great job and I love how your 5 year old can recite Jenny's tuts so cute!! I've heard (some superstition) about not putting the baby's name on the quilt until after birth - not that I pay attention, I just don't put any name on the quilt LOL But I do like the empty square you put in, left open and ready to go ASAP! Is that a log cabin empty block? A great way to have the quilt ready, now mom needs to get moving on the baby to go with :-)

Debbie
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

5. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love the butterfly pattern. Like the idea of making it larger. I look forward to the tute

7. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So cute! it looks like the Painted Lady block by Joanna Figueroa from Fig Tree Quilts. I love that block!!

9. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great butterfly pattern! I love it
    Mary

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

11. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HdWench View Post
    Great job and I love how your 5 year old can recite Jenny's tuts so cute!! I've heard (some superstition) about not putting the baby's name on the quilt until after birth - not that I pay attention, I just don't put any name on the quilt LOL But I do like the empty square you put in, left open and ready to go ASAP! Is that a log cabin empty block? A great way to have the quilt ready, now mom needs to get moving on the baby to go with :-)

Debbie

Oh, and my daughter doesn't recite the tutorials, just to clarify. She's very smart and Jenny's amazing tutorials have actually taught her how to look at a design and figure out how to make it. She's also been able to look at other quilt designs, and usiing the techineques she'd learned from simply watching the tutorials, she can tell you how to sew it. The tutorials provided by Missouri Star Quilt Company are amazing, and if they can teach a 5 year old how to sew a quilt design then I believe that anyone wanting to learn to quilt can learn how to quilt simply by watching the M* tutorials.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    So cute! it looks like the Painted Lady block by Joanna Figueroa from Fig Tree Quilts. I love that block!!
    Funny part was I had actually saw the Painted Lady block just a few hours after I'd finished sewing all my butterfly blocks together. The biggest difference is that in the pattern that I used I snowballed the worners too, and hadn't used different colors for the wings, though that would of made for some very striking butterflies i think.