Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Tools tools and more tools

Hey everyone! I just saw the neatest tool at a retreat this week...it's a double straight pin. When joining seams and trying like all heck to get them to butt up against each other, I have to use two straight pins, one on either side of the seams to hold them tog when I sew.

Well of course, more often than not, they're off and a seam ripping we will go.. Anyway, these double pins are made just for holding seams together and apparently you can sew over them..

I hadn't heard of them on this forum, so thought I'd share... Gotta go find some, pretty darn quick!

2. Thanks Sandy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tools tools and more tools

Have you ever tried a dab of Elmers Washable School Glue? It really works well at keeping seams straight.
    Gayle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

do they look like a 2 prong fork? I have seen those and would really like to have some, they are a bit expensive tho so I have to sell some things at my Etsy store to get the money for that luxury! But they seem to be great for pinning opened seams which I do most of the time instead of pressing one way or the other. Were they popularly used at the retreat?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyequilter View Post
    'Seams' well worth the price. Thanks for the info!
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Very coo item....would definitely save on the number of pins needed and the number of pins that seem to "escape" and find their way to the floor, under my machine etc..... Just might have to order some of these. Thanks!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have used them and they do work, but not always. Seam must be pinned just right. I would not sew over them. The pins are about the same thickness as a flower head pin. I like the idea of the glue stick, might try it. Amazon has the fork pins at a very reasonable price.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that must be the pins...the blue plastic box is the same...only saw one lady at the retreat with them, but with 40 of us jammed into the room, was kinda hard to get up and move around. I would never sew over any pin, regardless of how thin, as too afraid of breaking a needle or worse, harming my machine. Think I might get some with a Michael's coupon or Joanne's next time I'm in the US.

Good idea re the glue, will try that too, but does it gum up the needle? I was doing some machine appliqué the other day, after addi g steam a seam to the other side of my piece. The gum from the adhesive ended up on my needle which I frequently had to remove and wipe the goo off with rubbing alcohol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy the pins you want at Connecting Threads.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mother taught me to sew clothing and we always sewed over pins. When I use fleece for clothing/crafts I don't pin because it never moves. When I started quilting I started with Jenny's tutorials and she never pins. Then I started pinning just to line up my seams and whether or not I sew over them depends on if I see them or if I feel like taking them out or if it is bulky. I have never had a problem with sewing over them. I do love a thin pin and buy almost as many packages of them as I do needles. I have seen these pins but never tried them. I just might. Thanks for the tip!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]