Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default quitling ideas for a dresden wall hanging

I am getting close to finishing my first Dresden wall hanging. Now I am wondering how others quilt their Dresden plates. I machine sewed my finished Dresden to the base fabric by stitching in the ditch and left the points free. There is not much room around the Dresden on the base fabric. Any help would be great... if you can understand my rambling on. Back to my sewing room I go. Thank you again.
    Come join the fun.

Beginners Mystery Quilt. This is a queen aize when finished, nice. http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/groups/into-light-beginners-mystery-quilt.html[/url]

Christmas Log Cabin strip swap.
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gro...cabin-nq3.html

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quitling ideas for a dresden wall hanging

I love Dresden's. I use an applique stitch on my machine to quilt around the points and I stitch in the ditch between the petals. I learned the technique from Eleanor Burns from her Egg Money Quilts book (tutorial also.)

Hope that helps -

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJean View Post
    I love Dresden's. I use an applique stitch on my machine to quilt around the points and I stitch in the ditch between the petals. I learned the technique from Eleanor Burns from her Egg Money Quilts book (tutorial also.)

Hope that helps -
    I did the same when I made my Turkey Table Runner... you can see it in Groups Library. It was fun.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

For the table toppers, I used a blanket stitch (on my machine) to go around the outside of the blades and did the SITD (straight stitch)or close to the edge of the blade seams to sew to the base fabric along with the center circle. I had sandwiched before doing the stitching whereas I've seen others do all the stitching to base fabric and then did a stipping when they sandwiched. A lot depends on your batting and what the distance is for quilting that the batting allows for.
    Love the Dresdens.
    Julia