Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pins with locater numbers attached

I was on retreat this weekend and other quilters were using safety pins with circles on them. One set had the numbers and letters already on the little plastic circles I think and another had blank circles. I need a way to get my design off the wall and onto the sewing machine without screwing up the order - is this the best way?? Is there another way?? It took me a long time to get the placement of my zig zag table runner just perfect on the wall and by the time it was sewn it was all wrong. Gotta be a way to do this!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pins with locater numbers attached

Oh, there are many fantastic ways.

Some use simple post-it-notes (I find they fall off and wind up 'sticking' myself if I use straight pins).

Our SuzyQue made some that were 'gifts' at the M* retreat the first of the month. I think she used those forms that are used to wrap embroidery thread (check them out in the craft stores - cross-stitchers use them). Correct me, if I am wrong, Susie.

One of my granddaughters suggested the plastic tabs from bakery products . . .

other ideas????????
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure where I read it. Maybe here even. Use alphabet beads on safety pins. I think I am going to try the beads method. You could put a1 A2. A3. B1 b2. Etc. keep a little box of them in your sewing notions

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Both ideas sound good - any other ideas?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I' m sure glad to know I wasn't the only one with this problem.
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried this but I think you could write on the flower head pins with a sharpie or dry erase marker.
    I sometimes use painters tape to mark rows.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Masking tape will work good too or painters tape. You can use it to mark rows or top of row...bottom.......
    Cheap and easy to remove.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I attach my labels or notes with my curved quilter's basting pins.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Sandy....I used the bobbins that are used to wind up embroidery floss. I marked them with a sharpie. .....Row 1, Row 2, etc. I then used a binder ring to hold them all together till used. To use, pin with safety pins to the upper left corner of the first block of each row. If stacked in order across the row, they will all be in order and ready to sew. When you get to the next row of blocks you will find the Row 2 tag. Easier to do then to explain. I use my daughter's CA king sized bed on the second floor to lay out my quilt tops. My sewing studio is 2 floors and across the entire house in the basement. I had to develop a system to move my blocks.......or consider it a lot of exercise while piecing the blocks together!!! It works for me. I would never need nor keep the A1, A 2, etc system straight, but whatever works for you. I would recommend pinning the marker in the top left corner, so you can keep the blocks in order of top of each row. Once you figure out what works for you.....stick with the same system!

10. Thanks Jewel thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a package of flower-shaped letter beads and safety pins from Dritz. I have kept the beads, but the pins were so thick they didn't go through the fabric well. I have since found some finer safety pins and they work well. they only came in lower case letters and the font was such that when the beads were loose telling the b, d, p, & q apart were a pain. A few quick lines with the sharpie fixed that.

I am also messing about with that Fimo/Sculpy clay to make my own. I'd like them attached to the side of the pin that you can't poke through the fabric. I think I may have it figured out, but just haven't gotten back to making and baking enough to be useful. Once they are baked I can write on them with a Sharpie.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com