Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Marti Mitchell templets Q

Ok, a tad off topic - sorry!. Should Marti Mitchell templates be added to my Christmas list? From the discussion above, it seems like they are a good template to use, and I like the price range.
    Amy

Jeremiah 29:11

http://pinterest.com/acct97531/quilts-to-make/

Daughter of Tobeysmama

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oki here we go

There is something that I do not understand or am missing to acount for.

The parts that I do get right is perfect and somehow during the construction I mess things up.

Here are some picture of what I am trying to do. I have tried the Evening Star and the Air castle block. The only block that is good is the spinning star block.

As long as there are square to an triangle, I am fine.
    As long as there are a square in a square, I am fine
    But when I am trying to combine above parts with a geese or a halfsquare things start to go wrong.

So what the heck is it that I am missing ?

??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00007.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	58247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00006.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	58248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00008.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	58249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00004-002.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	58250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00003-002.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	58251  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00002-003.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	58252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00005-001.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	58253  

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    Oooh! I love my Marti Michell templates. They are my favorite way to make a quilt with pointy points!

I don't have Q, but let me go see what I can find out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OK. I just looked them up. The Q set are just sized to make 2.5" squares and the pieces are similar to A-D of the other basic sets.

When you are making your "goose" (the bigger triangle in the center) are you overlapping the template along what would be the center seam? If you don't overlap the seam allowance when you flip the template to make your "goose" it will be wider than it should be. That might be enough to cause the problem.

When you flip the template over make sure the angled corner at the top bumps up against the edge you just cut and makes the correct top shape.

I hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll see what else I can figure out!
    I think that might be one of the things to try again. I am not sure that I did that correctly.

Will try again and see what happens!

And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

In the class I took usinging Marti Michell templates we were told to alwayse use a 1/4" foot and to spray & press the fabric with Best Press before cutting and the instructor suggested cutting the strips on the crosswise grain before cutting the pieces (and I think Marti talks about grain in the booklet too.) Just curious if you are off a tad from not using 1/4" foot or from fabric stretching on the bias? Because a little bit of stretch or a slightly larger/smaller seam here & there does affect the outcome.

From what I can tell on the photo in the bottom right - you are pretty close.

Hope that helps and good luck with your next block!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again

I think I managed to sort out a few of the issues.

I need to overlapp the big triangle to eliminate the seamallow. Did not do that.

And then I must remeber that I have more templets than just the 3 that I am using.
    In the boklett in the pictures of the block there are diffrent sizes of squares that I did not see.

So I am now thinking that I migh be able to do this after all.

To tired tonight to continue so I will have to pick it up again tomorrow

A Big Thank you to all of you for helping and putting in you 2 cents!

That is what so great with this community, Everyone is so kinde and helpful

Love you guys!

Annika

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I was just going to ask.....are there more than one size square templates? I know there are multiple sizes of things in the ones I am using! Also, that one where it looks like you have sewn together four blocks in the middle? I don't see where there is a picture pattern that looks like that was done anywhere. Hopefully when you find the right sized square it will all come together. They really to work well once you get the hang of it!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    That is what I was just going to ask.....are there more than one size square templates? I know there are multiple sizes of things in the ones I am using! Also, that one where it looks like you have sewn together four blocks in the middle? I don't see where there is a picture pattern that looks like that was done anywhere. Hopefully when you find the right sized square it will all come together. They really to work well once you get the hang of it!!
    The four sewn toghtere is just me doing stupid thing in frustration! :-)

I sewde a bit more and now it works much better. I need to look more carefuly to see what templet to use and what to combine.
    And I need to overlapp the triangle when cutting for the flying geese.

I think I have about 7 diffrent templets in this set so I have plenty to play with

Thanks again

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Annika,
    I am so glad that you are able to work out some of the troubles!

I am lazy and don't use spray starch very often, unless all of the pieces are bias cuts. I just use my regular presser foot and not a special 1/4" one.

It is very important that you cut the templates accurately and you use a 1/4" seam or your pieces will be off. From what I see, they are looking pretty good.
    Let us know if you still need more help!

Amy, I really like the Marti Michell templates and Perfect Patchwork system. The books that go along with the templates are my most used items in my sewing room. They are a fantastic library of blocks. If you want to try the system before you invest in the acrylic templates, buy either volume 1 or 2. They come will a full-sized set printed in the book. You can trace them off, use them to see if you like how they work, and they go from there.
    Some folks don't like the fussy part about nipping off the corners, but I don't mind. It saves me time in pinning and trimming the dog ears later. They acrylic templates do make piece cutting pretty fast from the strips. Most of the blocks and quilts in my album are made from her templates. Sorry there aren't any fresher photos, I haven't been able to up load since 2010!)
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used MM templates.....sets A&B, and love them.

Having sad that.... The absolute best ruler I have found to make FG, is the Fons&Porter one. You use strips, and it can make several sizes.... I need things to be super simple, and this is SIMPLE.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Annika,

Did you get the templates to work?
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com